• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
Hi. I plan to move to Florida with my three kids. My husband has decided not to move right away with me. Right now, I can afford to move and pay for a two bedroom apartment while we get settle down. My main concern is if I am legally wed can I apply for some sort of assitance until I get on my feet? 3 months tops

My husband will pay me monthly 300 until he gets to sell our house, since he is going to keep paying and all our bills. I am just afraid of running out quickly of my savings, since it is not LOTS of money, until I get a job.I have never been on asistance and I don't want to abuse the system. I just want know what can and what can't I do if the situations gets to the point in which I need of assitance. I just want to do the move as wisely as possible, because I am going to be alone in a new state with my three kids, so I need to make sure I have the proper care for them. I have to enroll them in a new school, and complete my tranfer. (college)

I can't move alone first, until I have everything settle do to the fact that in here there would be noone to take care of my kids. If he moves first then we loose our only income until he founds a job etc.. I have a great opportunity in Florida, and for once I would love to take it. (academically speaking)
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I don't think being wed or not will disqualify you, it's more about income. You might want to look at FL's government agency websites, though. There might be requirements for length of residency or something. IDK. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Even when married couples seperate they require 30 days to pass before allowing assistance here. You'd have to show proof he's not living in the home and be mindful of what you apply for as he's considered a "missing parent" and they go after the missing parent for CS and repayment of aide received. The state is not going to simply hand you free money when you have a husband responsible for providing for his kids.
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I used to live in Florida. I was not on assistance, but I can say that the waiting lists for assistance are LONG. I am not sure which part of FL you are moving to (I lived in SoFla), but in my area, there was a surplus of families who require assistance, so the system does not move fast at all. Chances are that by the time you get approved, three months will have passed. 

Where are you moving to FL from?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM
I wouldn't lie. I don't see myself needing assistance for at least 3,4 maybe even 5 months, but only if I don't get a job by then. I may need assistance if by that time he is not in Florida with me. Again,this will be my extremely last resort.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Even when married couples seperate they require 30 days to pass before allowing assistance here. You'd have to show proof he's not living in the home and be mindful of what you apply for as he's considered a "missing parent" and they go after the missing parent for CS and repayment of aide received. The state is not going to simply hand you free money when you have a husband responsible for providing for his kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM
I was offered an internship, but it pays really low, but it is a great opportunity for me in the long run. If I do everything right, I would get a job that no only pays good mone,y but thay also pays for my students loans.

Quoting Superlaura328:

I used to live in Florida. I was not on assistance, but I can say that the waiting lists for assistance are LONG. I am not sure which part of FL you are moving to (I lived in SoFla), but in my area, there was a surplus of families who require assistance, so the system does not move fast at all. Chances are that by the time you get approved, three months will have passed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM
Didn't say you would lie. But FL does require the missing parent to pay court ordered CS. He's responsible for his kids, not FL. So any assistance outside fs will require him to pay back.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I wouldn't lie. I don't see myself needing assistance for at least 3,4 maybe even 5 months, but only if I don't get a job by then. I may need assistance if by that time he is not in Florida with me. Again,this will be my extremely last resort.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Even when married couples seperate they require 30 days to pass before allowing assistance here. You'd have to show proof he's not living in the home and be mindful of what you apply for as he's considered a "missing parent" and they go after the missing parent for CS and repayment of aide received. The state is not going to simply hand you free money when you have a husband responsible for providing for his kids.
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Congratulations!! :) 

My advice is to just go prepared... have money saved up. I am not sure where you're moving from, but the cost of living in FL is pretty high (at least in the southern parts). I moved from FL to TX about 4 years ago, and I was floored by how much cheaper food and stuff was out here in TX than it was back in FL. 

Good luck!!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was offered an internship, but it pays really low, but it is a great opportunity for me in the long run. If I do everything right, I would get a job that no only pays good mone,y but thay also pays for my students loans.
Quoting Superlaura328:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:15 PM
Thank you for your advice. I have an offer in Texas too, but in the long run they would not pay my student loans, which is a lot. lol In reality, I did not applied for this internships, one of my mentor's did for me, and he only told me one week before my interview's, both time. He was mad at me for not applying sooner, and he spoke so highly of me that I got in. I apreaciate all he has done, but now I have two great opportunities and so many decisions to take and quite frankly is scary. I am just afraid of taking some bad decisions, because of my kids. But at the same time I have fought so hard for this. This would be my dream come true. Which my mentor knows and keeps reminding me all DAY long. He is more like a father figure to me, if I am honest.

Quoting Superlaura328:

My advice is to just go prepared... have money saved up. I am not sure where you're moving from, but the cost of living in FL is pretty high (at least in the southern parts). I moved from FL to TX about 4 years ago, and I was floored by how much cheaper food and stuff was out here in TX than it was back in FL. 

Good luck!!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was offered an internship, but it pays really low, but it is a great opportunity for me in the long run. If I do everything right, I would get a job that no only pays good mone,y but thay also pays for my students loans.

Quoting Superlaura328:

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:19 PM

I say go for it! Shit, I wish someone would pay my student loans, God knows I'll never be able to, LOL! Nah, I am all for taking risks, though, if there's a good chance they'll really pay off. That's how our move to TX occured, actually. There we so many "what-if's", but we just went for it, and it really paid off. I guess a lot could havfe gone wrong, but we got lucky!

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you for your advice. I have an offer in Texas too, but in the long run they would not pay my student loans, which is a lot. lol In reality, I did not applied for this internships, one of my mentor's did for me, and he only told me one week before my interview's, both time. He was mad at me for not applying sooner, and he spoke so highly of me that I got in. I apreaciate all he has done, but now I have two great opportunities and so many decisions to take and quite frankly is scary. I am just afraid of taking some bad decisions, because of my kids. But at the same time I have fought so hard for this. This would be my dream come true. Which my mentor knows and keeps reminding me all DAY long. He is more like a father figure to me, if I am honest.
Quoting Superlaura328:

Good luck!!

Quoting Superlaura328:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Why not wait to move until he has a job in FL or you have more than enough in savings to do so.  A good opportunity really isn't that good of an opportunity if you really can't afford to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)