Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance don't want to pay for "normal wear and tear"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
A dumb teen that was texting rear ended me and messed up the bars that keep the alignment straight in my car. They need to be replaced. Her insurance agreed to pay for the bars. Well once I got it to the shop to be fixed they said the bolts are so rusted on they will have to heat them to get them off which also is going to damage another part. It is an additional $900 in damage and labor. Her insurance don't want to pay for it saying the rust is wear and tear but my point is they wouldn't have to remove these bolts if their client didn't rear end me!!! Is there anything I can do? I have not signed anything from them yet!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM
File with your insurance & let them deal with hers.
Kaseyrose21
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM
Why isn't your insurance company dealing with them? They should be the ones doing that.

And if what you said is correct then yes. Normal wear and tear is not covered by insurance. That is your job as a car owner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM
Even though they never would have had to remove these bolts if it weren't for the accident?

Quoting Kaseyrose21: Why isn't your insurance company dealing with them? They should be the ones doing that.

And if what you said is correct then yes. Normal wear and tear is not covered by insurance. That is your job as a car owner.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM

This!  And look at it this way - if those bolts are that rusty, the whole system would eventually have failed leaving you to pay it all instead of just $900, and had you done regular maintenance on it you also wouldn't have to pay the $900.  So pay it and deal.

Quoting Kaseyrose21: Why isn't your insurance company dealing with them? They should be the ones doing that. And if what you said is correct then yes. Normal wear and tear is not covered by insurance. That is your job as a car owner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM
I have done regular maintaince. Unfortunately I'm this area they use a ton of road salt all winter long. The shop said the insurance should have expected this because they can rarely get these bolts off.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

This!  And look at it this way - if those bolts are that rusty, the whole system would eventually have failed leaving you to pay it all instead of just $900, and had you done regular maintenance on it you also wouldn't have to pay the $900.  So pay it and deal.

Quoting Kaseyrose21: Why isn't your insurance company dealing with them? They should be the ones doing that. And if what you said is correct then yes. Normal wear and tear is not covered by insurance. That is your job as a car owner.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM

While yes if it wasn't for the accident they wouldn't need to be done, the fact of the matter is, now they do and it isn't their responsibility to pay for things that were already wrong with your car.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Make your insurance deal with their insurance. You should not be having to communicate with the other insurance company at all.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Go through your insurance, if you have a police report stating his fault it won't count against you and the insurance will get his insurance to pay to reimburse your insurance. 

Kaseyrose21
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:37 PM
Yep. The reason they have to be removed is because of the wear and tear. Not because of the accident.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Even though they never would have had to remove these bolts if it weren't for the accident?

Quoting Kaseyrose21: Why isn't your insurance company dealing with them? They should be the ones doing that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:37 PM

been there done that. since the other person's insurance company doesn't want to pay, this is where you call yours.( which hopefully you did when it happened). you can take your car to any shop that you. your company will pay for your car, you will pay the deductible, and then they will turn around and sue them.  or you can the other company back, tell them you want to speak a supervisor, see where you get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)