Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have to go?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
In March my ex and his girlfriend at the time were fighting. He ran out of the house and she chased after him. His brothers were there and tried to seperate them when they got outside.

Well BIL22 and BIL25 junped into the argument. When his girlfriend started to walk away, BIL22 spit at his girlfriend. I don't know if he actually spit on her but she turned around and spit on him, BIL25, and BIL19. BIL22 smacked her in the face and she hit him back.

She ended up getting arrested for domestic violence and was in jail for 2 days. BIL presses charges for the smacking and denies hitting her. My boyfriend and I were the only witnesses not involved in the actual fighting.

They are threatening to have us subpoenad to come to court. However, we do not want to be involved.

Do we have to go? Is there any way we can get out of going?

I have never had to go to court before.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Doodlesrevenge
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Why didn't you tell the officer what happened? I would too if I was in jail and my ex was denying what actually happened.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM
You might be able to claim bias because you're a relative but you'll probably have to as you're not a spouse of either party. Or you can try pleading the fifth good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM
try just being able to give a written noterized statement of what happened if they make you. As of now you aren't legally obligated to go so I wouldn't.
MicheleJM
by on May. 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Yes you can't ignore a subpoena.  You MIGHT be able to talk to the lawyer who issues you the subpoena to see if you can be excused.  I'd tell the stupid fools if you make me go I will tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  You might not want that....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)