Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vet techs, doggy mamas....Need advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

My new pup eats my cats poo.  I had a dog a long time ago that ate poo and my vet recommended putting something in the food to make the poo taste bad but I can't remember what it was.

Anyone have any other ideas (other than blocking litter box or putting a hood on)?

TIA

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lunabella79
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM
When pups eat their own poop a good enzyme that helps them digest their food helps to stop that. However I have no clue since it's your cat's poop! Maybe something to help the cat break down his food better?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM
I just have to say that "put this in their food to make their poop taste bad" is the funniest shit ever. Seriously. Who would've thought that poop tasted GOOD! LMAO

Sorry, no advice here. I have never had a dog that ate any kind of poo.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM

I think the first thing to do is put the cat box somewhere that the dog doesn't have access too. Adding something to the cat's food can possibly cause issues with the cat. I would say ask a vet before adding anything to the cat food if it gets to that point.

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM

My puppy (she's just over a year) would constantly rummage through our cats' litter box for shit, lol. Honestly, I hear that a lot of dogs do that, I don't think it's that unusual. We bought a hooded litter box for like $30, problem solved :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM

I know, it cracked me up when I typed it!  You are lucky, I've been around a lot of dogs and almost all of them ate some kind of poo.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I just have to say that "put this in their food to make their poop taste bad" is the funniest shit ever. Seriously. Who would've thought that poop tasted GOOD! LMAO Sorry, no advice here. I have never had a dog that ate any kind of poo.

SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM
Yikes has she had all of her parvo shots??? I have no advice on how to stop it but I lost a puppy to parvo and I'm pretty sure she got it from eating cat poop!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM
If you find something, please let me know.

The cat box has a lid, and is facing a wall, but the dog keeps getting into it. I am at my wits end. We clean the box 2x a day trying to keep the dog from eating cat poo.
rosie211
by I'm a nice one on May. 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM
My puppy and my oldest dog (11) get into the cat boxes. The only thing you can do is keep it clean and fuss at them when they do it.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Cat's dont get parvo. Dogs can't get parvo from cats.

Quoting SunshneDaydream: Yikes has she had all of her parvo shots??? I have no advice on how to stop it but I lost a puppy to parvo and I'm pretty sure she got it from eating cat poop!

Hoppers33
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM
I've never heard of putting anything in the cat's food, but you can put stuff like peppermint oil or vanilla extract in the litter. Some people use pepper, too. Doggy isn't going to be a fan of spicy poop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)