Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

suggestions - pic included

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Mobile Photo

We had some horrible monkey grass here in front of the house. Finally killed it lol. I'm wanting some kind of low maintenance, but pretty flowers in front of the house. Any suggestions on color or type? I don't want anything that grows too bushy or big because we have a tiny front porch next to where I'm planting. We live in Texas in a hot, humid climate. I definitely want something pretty because it's a rent house so I can't paint to brighten things up.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM
I don't know too much about plants and your climate, but maybe azaleas or hyacinths? Azaleas come in so many pretty colors, hyacinths have little yellow flowers (which would go nicely with your brown siding). They are all over my neighborhood and I love them! They can get bushy over time but they start out small and sure if you prune them you can keep them at a reasonable size.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Mobile Photo

Here's another angle
unsuspected
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:04 PM
I'd plant lavender or done other mosquito repellent plant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Thank you! I'm not sure what a hyacinth is but im going to look it up and see if it can live here

Quoting SunshneDaydream: I don't know too much about plants and your climate, but maybe azaleas or hyacinths? Azaleas come in so many pretty colors, hyacinths have little yellow flowers (which would go nicely with your brown siding). They are all over my neighborhood and I love them! They can get bushy over time but they start out small and sure if you prune them you can keep them at a reasonable size.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:06 PM
Lavender is a mosquito repellent?! I'm looking into this lol

Quoting unsuspected: I'd plant lavender or done other mosquito repellent plant.
unsuspected
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:07 PM
According to pintrest. :-)

I'm in Texas too. I want to plant lavender around our back porch.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Lavender is a mosquito repellent?! I'm looking into this lol

mary716
by on May. 5, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Impatiens are pretty low maintenance. Just water in the evening and they spread nicely. All sorts of pretty colors too. Add in some greenery for contrast, a few garden lights, maybe a little border or fence...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:09 PM
My lord I love Pinterest lol I'm in southeast Texas near Louisiana and the mosquitoes are horribleeee.

Quoting unsuspected: According to pintrest. :-)

I'm in Texas too. I want to plant lavender around our back porch.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Lavender is a mosquito repellent?! I'm looking into this lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:11 PM
Thank you! I'll look into them :)

Quoting mary716: Impatiens are pretty low maintenance. Just water in the evening and they spread nicely. All sorts of pretty colors too. Add in some greenery for contrast, a few garden lights, maybe a little border or fence...
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:18 PM
You may have to water them a lot, or it may just be too hot for them there. Now that I think about it, they bloom here in the spring, which is mild and VERY rainy. By summertime the flowers are gone but they are still nice, full, green bushes. But I am in VA, it is very humid here in spring and summer.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you! I'm not sure what a hyacinth is but im going to look it up and see if it can live here

Quoting SunshneDaydream: I don't know too much about plants and your climate, but maybe azaleas or hyacinths? Azaleas come in so many pretty colors, hyacinths have little yellow flowers (which would go nicely with your brown siding). They are all over my neighborhood and I love them! They can get bushy over time but they start out small and sure if you prune them you can keep them at a reasonable size.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)