Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone a landlord?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
So I was renting my house out last Oct. They had a 1 year lease. $1100 a month, $1100. Sec deposit. They started being late with rent by 1-2 weeks every month. I had to pay mortgage out of my pocket until they got it to me. I decided in Feb to give them 90 days to vacate-until June 1 (month to month lease by then and I'm only required to give full 30 days notice.)
On 4/9 he asked us to do the walkthrough so they could use security deposit as May's rent. Um no.
4/23 he told me he would be out by 5/10, meaning he's not intending on paying May rent at all. Now he texted me wanting to know when he will get his security deposit back. I have a really good lease. there are a million reasons why I am able to keep the security deposit, between all the combined late fees the prorated may rent and not giving a calendar month (much less 30 days) notice before leaving. I don't want to be an asshole though. Not sure what to do with this one... if you rented to them, what would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Did they pay April rent? And if they are playing to be out may 10 then pro rate those days.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Um,you owe the deposit unless he trashed the place. He hasnt missed a payment, therefore its his money. You need to charge and collect a fee for late payments, like... 5 days grace period then on day 6 and thereon its an extra 5$ a day or 10$ or whatever is legal in your area.
Also..... dont rent if you cant afford to rent. you need to be prepared to cover those months your renters are late or pay for things that need fixing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 4:46 PM
You should know your rights before trying to be a landlord. Look up the landlord tenant laws for your state. If he bailed on the last months rent you can sue or possibly use the deposit for that. If he had any damages you use the deposit for repairs. You'll need to send him an itemized list with the reasons you're keeping the deposit within a certain timeframe or he could sue you. Keep all info formal and sent to him certified letter. There's a lot more to this but you need to know your specific laws.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 4:49 PM
As for the other two comments, if he doesn't give you sufficient notice he owes you for that rent. If he notified you on April 23 and he has to give a 30 day notice he's on the hook for rent until May 23. Again, you need to know your local LLT laws.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Within 30 days of the day he moves out, -minus the cost for repairing damages. 

But he would need to provide a forwarding address, which you can then use to serve him with notice that he is being sued. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 4:50 PM
They paid April's April 12, they didn't tell me they intended on leaving may 10 until the end of April. I was fully expecting mays rent until a week ago. Also, if they don't intend on paying for may, they should have given me 30 days notice and been out before may 1

Quoting Anonymous 2: Did they pay April rent? And if they are playing to be out may 10 then pro rate those days.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:50 PM

If he did not pay the rent for April or May and/or left damages on top of it, she should put the money in escrow and file a small claims court action against him. 

Quoting eesmommy: Um,you owe the deposit unless he trashed the place. He hasnt missed a payment, therefore its his money. You need to charge and collect a fee for late payments, like... 5 days grace period then on day 6 and thereon its an extra 5$ a day or 10$ or whatever is legal in your area. Also..... dont rent if you cant afford to rent. you need to be prepared to cover those months your renters are late or pay for things that need fixing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 5, 2015 at 4:52 PM
He's breaking his lease by moving out early? You should be able to keep the security deposit and take him to court for the remainder of the lease (minus the one month for the deposit)
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 5, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Thisis why we hired a company. They deal with that stuff. Your only recourse will be small claims court.

Seracake
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I wouldn't tell him you're keeping his security deposit until he moves out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)