Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preschool problems

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Ari is in special education preschool due to speech delay. She started March 30th, and just turned 3 on March 7th, so she's younger than others. At a 15 minute table time, she gets up about 5 times.I know that could be distracting, but they have 3 teachers and 7 students, one teacher should be available to help.
Now, I've been noticing more and more times her homework has her name on it, but also a classmates name, always the same classmate. I just asked her teacher about it today, and she said that because ari has problems sticking with one task, sometimes a classmate will finish the project for her.
Uhm, no. I'm not sending her to school for someone else to do the work. As a teacher, its her job to work with her! They aren't going to let that pass in kindergarten.
Class started so I wasn't able to talk more to her about it, but I am not happy.
Would you be upset if the school was doing this?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 5:09 PM
Maybe she's not ready for preschool? She just turned 3 that's pretty young still...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 5:12 PM
Her speech therapist was the one pushing it, and the teachers want her there. I talked to them about that, and they make it clear this is best for her.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe she's not ready for preschool? She just turned 3 that's pretty young still...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM
Speech delays are not a good reason to put a baby in preschool. Work with a speech therapist, and take her out if school. Of course she has trouble sticking to a task! She's 3! Attention span for a toddler is about 5-10 minutes.
isaiahsmom321
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM
She's too young. We did speech at the hospital until 4 then did preschool.
ripemango
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i think it's freakin preschool and it doesn't matter

Anvanderbrook
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM
It is pre-k she shouldn't start kindergarten until 5
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Both of my kids started preschool at a 3 year-old program.  DD did T/H from 9 am to noon and DS did M/W/F from 9 am to noon.  They went to a private program.  

That is a FABULOUS teacher student ratio.  No, I would not be upset.  She is three.  That situation sounds age appropriate.  Just be happy there aren't any biters!  If your child needs one on one care, you can provide that at home and do appointments for speech therapy.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 5:22 PM
Is it a montessori program? Are they doing this with the intent that she'll have to repeat?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Her speech therapist was the one pushing it, and the teachers want her there. I talked to them about that, and they make it clear this is best for her.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe she's not ready for preschool? She just turned 3 that's pretty young still...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM
Kindergarten is at age 5 so she has time
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM
Why did she start school in March? My sons preschool Is done in 2 weeks, that's really late to start...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)