Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High Efficiency Washer - Yes or No?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:43 PM
  • 35 Replies

My washing machine decided to give out today, so I need a new one.  I am considering a high efficiency model.  Do any of you have any experience with them?  What are your thoughts and opinions?

ETA I would NOT get a front loader, I would get a top loader.

by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM
We got a front load washer. I HATE IT. If it broke today I'd replace it with a top load one. Even if you wipe it every time you get mildew in the door. We wipe and keep the door on it open and it still gets mold. The only benefit is its easier to fit our comforter in it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM

I love mine, the only thing I dislike is having to double check the soap I buy. Not all laundry soap is for HE washers and its sometimes easy to grab the wrong kind. I sent my hubby to get laundry soap just the other day and he got regular its not the first time we have had to exchange laundry soap lol.   We have the maytag bravos.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM
Hated mine! I sold it and bought a top load, it never got my boys clothes clean.
PrncssToadstool
by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM

I would get a top loader, I have never liked front loaders.

Quoting Snakecharm: We got a front load washer. I HATE IT. If it broke today I'd replace it with a top load one. Even if you wipe it every time you get mildew in the door. We wipe and keep the door on it open and it still gets mold. The only benefit is its easier to fit our comforter in it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Thats exactly why I didnt get the front loader.  We have a top loader and its great still can fit even our king size in their easily. 

Quoting Snakecharm: We got a front load washer. I HATE IT. If it broke today I'd replace it with a top load one. Even if you wipe it every time you get mildew in the door. We wipe and keep the door on it open and it still gets mold. The only benefit is its easier to fit our comforter in it.

PeppermintyTea
by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a front load, and a top loading one. I don't like the front loading one either - it was left here by the previous owner. I told the real estate agent we didn't want it, but whatever it's here. When DH gets back we'll bring the extra set to the habitat for humanity store.
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM
That's what I need!!!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thats exactly why I didnt get the front loader.  We have a top loader and its great still can fit even our king size in their easily. 

lovemercygrace
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM
I love my he washer.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I have a front loader Electrolux.  Had it 6 years now, and other than a spring on the detergent dispenser, I have had NO problems with it.

After using it, I always keep the door open.  I run a "cleaning cycle" of bleach only about once every 3 weeks.  I use it a LOT.  Never, ever, a problem.

Maytags have had a lot of mold problems, but the Electrolux has not.  Oh, and our water and electric bills both went down considerably.

bnj03
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM
I just bought my first HE top loader. I have my first load in now. Lots of buttons and trying to figure out right setting. Right now it's saying 1 hr and 30 minutes for a heavy load.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)