• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My father doesn't believe my son is special needs.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 0 Replies
My son has been diagnosed by three doctors and four therapists as having SPD. Everything I research on the condition I see my son. He has all the symptoms. I have pointed this out to my father, but he refuses to read the information. He says my son just has bad behavior. He calls my son belligerent. Seeing as that means hostile and aggressive, it couldn't be any farther from the truth. My son is very tame. He cries when I kill mosquitoes. He says my son ignores me. However one of the symptoms of SPD is that they act like they don't hear you. He displays many SPD symptoms. Actually he displays about 60% of the symptoms listed on this site: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html My father doesn't even understand when my son stims. He thinks he is just making noise to make noise. I have explained time and again that he's not, but to no avail. It really frustrates me because my son loves my father, but my father has been treating my son like shit. The most irritating thing is that my nephew has ADHD and Asbergers (sp). He believes my nephew's diagnosis even though it took forever for my sister to get him checked out. I know I should cut ties with my father, but I have no one else in the area. I've already decided that he will no longer watch my son. I don't trust him to do that any more. Other than a sledgehammer to the head I just don't know how to enlighten my father.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)