• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anther reason to hate pageeants

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
Mother outraged after daughter 'humiliated' at pageant
Posted: May 04, 2015 9:52 PM EDT
Updated: May 05, 2015 6:28 AM EDT
By Sarah-Blake MorganCONNECT

Share on tumblrShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on email

SHELBY, NC (WBTV) -
A local mother is demanding answers after she says her 11-year-old daughter was "humiliated" at a local pageant.
Last month, Jaris Watson's daughter, Kalese, competed in the event hosted by Shelby's Delta Sigma Theta Alumnae Chapter.
"As my daughter took the stage, we were in complete awe of how beautiful and elegant she looked," Watson said.
Watson tells WBTV she was beaming with pride as she waited for organizers to announce the winners of the coveted crown.
"They call out my daughters name. We are standing up, we are applauding," Watson said.
But that joy was short-lived. Watson says moments later after her daughter's name was announced, a woman returned with some devastating news.
"The lady comes back to the podium and says we've made a mistake. I felt like I was living in some kind of horror film. Did I really just hear that in front of a packed auditorium that there was a mistake? Did you really just humiliate my daughter?" asked Watson.
Watson said organizers told her an error was made while reading the winners of the "Delta Dolls" pageant. Little Kalese's reign was over as quickly as it began.
"To add insult to injury, they took her by the hand, led her to the podium to announce the winner," Watson said.
But that's not all Watson says has her upset. She says Kalese spent six months raising over $1,000 in donations for the pageant. Now, she thinks her daughter deserves to get it all back but says she hasn't been able to get a straight answer from the organization.
"That is not what the Delta's stand for. I know that for myself because I was raised by one," Watson said.
Delta Sigma Theta told WBTV they're "not prepared to make a statement because they don't have all the facts." But they said they're working to come up with a solution to make it right.
"There's nothing to come up with. We gave you the funds when they were supposed to be turned in. Wrong was done and we want the funds back," Watson said.
Watson adds she hopes the organization will make it right to fix the hurt her daughter has endured.
"She said 'mom, I am my family's winner and that's all that matters to me. But what they've done really hurt me. And although I held myself together on stage, I wanted to cry,'" Watson said.
The organization added that all the money raised in the pageant goes toward funding scholarships for young men and woman in the community.
Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.

This is from my local news station. I don't think the mom should get any money back. Her kid lost and she can't take it.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM
B
Anonymous
U
rubixcubes
by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM
Pageants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
M
csxt99
by Jennifer on May. 5, 2015 at 8:01 PM

The dumb bitch is crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:02 PM
Better? I am mobile and it auto correct

Quoting rubixcubes: Pageants.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Exactly. She wouldn't get money back if the child lost without her name getting called.

Quoting csxt99:

The dumb bitch is crazy.

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Why should they get their money back?
AnastasiaKorsh
by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Mistakes happen, she would be better served if she taught her daughter to take mustakes/losing in stride instead of throwing a fit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Because they called her daughter's name by mistake.

Quoting reaandiziesmama: Why should they get their money back?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)