Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why don't people get it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
3 moms liked this
It's a pretty simple concept to discipline. People always sit and wonder why their kids act up, treat adults like crap or are just plain brats...it's because most parents don't discipline anymore.

Kids are smarter than everyone knows. They will and can get away with what their parents allow so if they can get away with lying, hitting and so on, it's because the parents allow it to happen.

Parenting is raising a child to become an adult, if you allow a brat to grow up, you're allowing a brat to fail in the real world.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShellLea
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:55 PM
I agree. Once in a while there are cases where a parent does everything they can and their child still ends up being a mess. Most of the time parenting caused the problem.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't believe in "brats"... I think that all kids and people do their best. We only act up and act out when the demands of the situation are more then we can handle.
I don't think discipline is handled correctly in many situations. Many try to control and not understand why the behavior is happening & and that discipline means simply "popping, hitting, punishment." And not teaching, explaining & acting accordingly.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:57 PM

I agree. Consistent discipline is important in raising well functioning children that people want to be around.

We don't have a problem with our kids acting out, they know it won't be tolerated. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Quoting SamMom912: I don't believe in "brats"... I think that all kids and people do their best. We only act up and act out when the demands of the situation are more then we can handle. I don't think discipline is handled correctly in many situations. Many try to control and not understand why the behavior is happening & and that discipline means simply "popping, hitting, punishment." And not teaching, explaining & acting accordingly.

I agree with this as well. 

srltb143
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:59 PM

This

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I agree. Consistent discipline is important in raising well functioning children that people want to be around.

We don't have a problem with our kids acting out, they know it won't be tolerated. 

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Quoting SamMom912: I don't believe in "brats"... I think that all kids and people do their best. We only act up and act out when the demands of the situation are more then we can handle. I don't think discipline is handled correctly in many situations. Many try to control and not understand why the behavior is happening & and that discipline means simply "popping, hitting, punishment." And not teaching, explaining & acting accordingly.

I disagree. I nanny as my job. I know 3 girls that are 12/13. They have said " If my parents say NO I cry, throw a fit and act like a brat. Within 10 minutes I will get what I want. " SAD eFFing Sad. that these children have learned how to manipulate their parents and that the parents allow it.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I did say that behavior needs to be looked at, addressed... I don't think punishment will make these girls not manipulate the situation (and I don't mean manipulate in a bad way) but what is it about the situation at hand that is making them "cry" on purpose? I'm certainly not saying that maladaptive behaviors don't occur... Because you are right.. THIS is a maladaptive behavior that needs to be addressed... But I don't believe that punishment popping or hitting necessarily makes people (or children) NOT do a desired behavior. Listen, I agree, these girls KNOW how to get their way.. And frankly, we ALL want OUR way... 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I disagree. I nanny as my job. I know 3 girls that are 12/13. They have said " If my parents say NO I cry, throw a fit and act like a brat. Within 10 minutes I will get what I want. " SAD eFFing Sad. that these children have learned how to manipulate their parents and that the parents allow it.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not believe in hitting popping or any other term people use to get children to behave.

Quoting SamMom912:

I did say that behavior needs to be looked at, addressed... I don't think punishment will make these girls not manipulate the situation (and I don't mean manipulate in a bad way) but what is it about the situation at hand that is making them "cry" on purpose? I'm certainly not saying that maladaptive behaviors don't occur... Because you are right.. THIS is a maladaptive behavior that needs to be addressed... But I don't believe that punishment popping or hitting necessarily makes people (or children) NOT do a desired behavior. Listen, I agree, these girls KNOW how to get their way.. And frankly, we ALL want OUR way... 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting SamMom912: I don't believe in "brats"... I think that all kids and people do their best. We only act up and act out when the demands of the situation are more then we can handle.
I don't think discipline is handled correctly in many situations. Many try to control and not understand why the behavior is happening & and that discipline means simply "popping, hitting, punishment." And not teaching, explaining & acting accordingly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 8:58 PM
My sister doesn't discipline her kid. I have disciplined mine forever with time outs, loss of privileges, etc. My kid behaves, hers doesn't. Apparently my child was just born well behaved. SMH.
WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM

I agree. I see the result of laxed parenting on a daily basis. My son's friends' parents rarely discipline their boys and as a result, these kids are out of control. I have lost count of the times I have sent them home, because of their behavior (WWE style wrestling on my sofa, trashing my kids' bedrooms, walking into my house without knocking, and disrespecting my and my husband).  It irritates me, when I try to talk to the boys' parents and the behavior never changes.  It has gotten to the point where they are rarely invited over here anymore.  One of the boys has and older sister, who I have permanently banned from coming into my house. She is disrespectful, and I caught her red handed stealing items from my house and yard. Her mother is in complete denial about her behavior.   I am regretting ever letting that girl into my home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)