Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is your religion my only option?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:13 PM
  • 63 Replies
My family is hounding on me to take my kids to church and not teach them my religion. That I need to put them into Sunday Christian Bible school.

So, I asked them why is it okay to teach them Christianity and not my religion? Why should I force a belief I don't believe in down their throats if I can't teach them what I believe in? Why would I send them to church but tell them I refuse to go myself? How is that going to give them anything?

Their answer is because I am a minority. I shouldn't be forcing my kids to be a minority and just have them in the majority religion for my area. If nothing else I should stop celebrating my holidays and telling them my beliefs and they (my family) will guide them correctly for me.

I told them I will contemplate their suggestions and hung up on them.

I wonder what the apostles would have done if they were told to just follow the majority and not be a minority anymore... Oh wait!

Love my Christian family... Love them dearly, but I think they need to reread their bible...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 9:18 PM
What religion are you? Also, I will forever be confused about people who are "christian" what does that mean? Are they Catholic, Luthern, Methodist, Unitarian??? Are they Baptist or those non-denom people. What does that even mean?
Kenre
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:20 PM
I am a Pagan. My family is Catholic, but my grandma just wants me to enter into any Christian Church or put my kids into any of them. Lutheran is the big one in this area.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What religion are you? Also, I will forever be confused about people who are "christian" what does that mean? Are they Catholic, Luthern, Methodist, Unitarian??? Are they Baptist or those non-denom people. What does that even mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rubixcubes
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:20 PM
That is my family in a nutshell. I have no interest in my daughter confining herself to a religion and they push for her to be raised the "good Christian way". Fuck that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:21 PM
That would drive me nuts.
mischele
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM
My family doesn't approve of my religion either. I am Wiccan and so are my kids. When they want to go to church I take them
nicetry11
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM
I know nothing about what Pagans believe, do I have no further advise, opinion or comment. For what it's worth, I'm Catholic and enjoy my religion. I wouldn't force it on anyone though--- except my kids-- they are raised catholic because I believe that (my) children need religion. Should they convert later in life, that is their decision.

Quoting Kenre: I am a Pagan. My family is Catholic, but my grandma just wants me to enter into any Christian Church or put my kids into any of them. Lutheran is the big one in this area.
Quoting Anonymous 1: What religion are you? Also, I will forever be confused about people who are "christian" what does that mean? Are they Catholic, Luthern, Methodist, Unitarian??? Are they Baptist or those non-denom people. What does that even mean?
Kenre
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm Pagan. My kids want to be Pagans, too, currently. They enjoy our holidays and gods. I don't see a reason to shove them into a large room where people tell them they are going to suffer now because a god told them they need to.

Quoting mischele: My family doesn't approve of my religion either. I am Wiccan and so are my kids. When they want to go to church I take them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicetry11
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:26 PM
I'm sorry that you have had that experience. That's why I love my church, it's uplifting and inspiring. But yes, there are many full of doom and gloom

Quoting Kenre: I'm Pagan. My kids want to be Pagans, too, currently. They enjoy our holidays and gods. I don't see a reason to shove them into a large room where people tell them they are going to suffer now because a god told them they need to.

Quoting mischele: My family doesn't approve of my religion either. I am Wiccan and so are my kids. When they want to go to church I take them
A_McCool
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:27 PM

I allow my children to go to church with my parents, but they know that I don't believe the same things my parents do.  They, also, know that they are free to stop going whenever they want. I'm not sure how my parents will react when/if the kids decide they don't want to go any more. 

InspiredByLove
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Receiving Jesus as their Savior, is your children's individual choice alone. They will have the chance to decide. It's not up to you or your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)