Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My two year olds potty mouth...

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:39 PM
  • 39 Replies

My daughter started going to a babysitter about a month ago. She is a family friend, whom I trusted. She's a stay at home mom with two other kiddos, her husband is home most of the time as well. (retired vet) Recently my daughter has started cursing nonstop when she is angry. I try to redirect, focus her attention on other things, time-out, ect. When she is in time-out she yells F-YOU. I'm so embarassed. When I confronted the babysitter on the matter she says "Well husband cusses around the girls and they havent't picked up on it, I'm not sure why Ady has." Um... because she is a sponge. She repeats everything. I've asked them numerous times to watch how they speak in front of her. They agree, yet its progressivly getting worse. I've decided she will no longer be going over there. My question is.. Have any of you dealt with this? I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do at this point.

We were in Target and she yelled out F-YOU in front of the entire store today. I was mortified. I had people staring at me. And some woman had the audacity to tell me I'm a bad mom because of it. I don't say anything like that in front of her. EVER. I feel like a horrible person because no child should speak like this. I never expected mine to. I'm not looking for any bashing, just some words of advice. Thank you..

by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Is she an early 2 or about to turn 3? 

Hopingthistime
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:43 PM
Wow, I would not be happy about that at all. All I can think of is not having her go there anymore and explain to her that those words are very hurtful and she should never say them.
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Find a new babysitter. They obviously don't care or respect your wishes considering it's still going on.
gypsysoul_
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM

She's an early 2, just turned 2 in January.

Quoting 3companytoo:

Is she an early 2 or about to turn 3? 

nicetry11
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM
3 moms liked this
Well--- tell her there are appropriate times and places to use those words. In her case, if she feels the need to say them, she should go into the bathroom and say it to the toilet. If you make the word taboo-- she will keep it up. If you explain when and where it's appropriate, it will extinguish it's self.
gypsysoul_
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:45 PM

I am pretty angry, but I'm trying to remain calm about the situation. She will not be going back over there, especially since they don't respect what I ask of them.

Quoting Hopingthistime: Wow, I would not be happy about that at all. All I can think of is not having her go there anymore and explain to her that those words are very hurtful and she should never say them.

gypsysoul_
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:46 PM

I didn't think about that, Thank you! I will have to try this method, because nothing else is working.

Quoting nicetry11: Well--- tell her there are appropriate times and places to use those words. In her case, if she feels the need to say them, she should go into the bathroom and say it to the toilet. If you make the word taboo-- she will keep it up. If you explain when and where it's appropriate, it will extinguish it's self.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM

I'd get a new babysitter.   I don't trust people with foul mouths.  I don't care what their story or excuse, it's foul language, it's called CURSING.  Don't people remember just what a curse is? wishing ill on you.

I would not let my child be taken "care of" in a family with cursing going on. No way.  Get her out of there.

3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Sorry about your sitter situation. Finding good chilcare is hard. I would not make too big of a deal out of it to your daughter because she has no clue what she's really saying. I would just introduce a new word or phrase as a substitute.  Make it a silly word and do something funny. She'll want to say it because it'll turn into a game for her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

She just really smart!! Lol

Seriously, I just ignore and redirect. I would also get another sitter. It sounds like your sitter and her dh not only have potty mouths but also anger issues with each other.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)