Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Devastated…I Just Found Out…

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:31 PM
  • 57 Replies
…a little girl I used to babysit for was murdered by her father.

When I was 16, a woman at my church recommended me to her sister as a babysitter. The little girl was 2 at the time. She would probably be 11 or 12 by now. The woman didn't go to our church for long. I babysat her every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday that summer and I adored her. The family moved out of state a year later and I haven't seen them since. I tried finding them over Facebook and I couldn't. Today I ran into the aunt at Walmart and she recognized me. I asked about Lily and the aunt's face fell and she told me what happened.

Apparently the father was molesting her. When she was about 7, he snuck into the bathroom while she was taking a bath and tried to mess with her. She started crying and told him that, if he didn't stop, she was going to tell so he drowned her. Originally he said it was an accident. She was trying to get out, slipped, and hit her head but eventually they found out the truth. He is still in jail. He always gave me a creepy vibe. I guess this explains why he didn't like that his wife hired me. I had no idea that he was molesting her. I keep thinking that, if I had seen something, I could have saved her. Now I could recognize the signs but I was only 16 and younger children are easy to manipulate. She never had tantrums, or nightmares, or wet the bed, or showed a mistrust of men when she was around me. I wish there was some way I could have known. I was molested as a child so I just feel like I should have picked up on something.

I'm still in shock and I've been crying. I have thought about her many times over the years. I have wondered how she was doing and even hoped I may see her again. This just breaks my heart. I still have pictures in my scrapbook of her, my little sister, and niece at the zoo, her playing with my dog, unwrapping the doll I gave her for her 3rd birthday, and playing at the park with the other kids I babysat. I was showing them to my husband earlier just in tears. I'm going to tell my niece tomorrow. My sister wasn't old enough to remember but my niece has mentioned her a few times. She's almost 14 now. It makes me wonder about the other kids I babysat for and lost track of. How many other tragedies did I miss? I've babysat for a lot of kids over the years. I feel like I should find them and make sure they're ok. I'm just devastated.
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:32 PM
That's really sad.
allsolittle
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, that's heavy,
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 5, 2015 at 10:34 PM
Sorry for your loss. It must have been awful to hear.
DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM
How sad! I'm So sorry!
Momniscient
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM
:( That is awful. And you bear absolutely no responsibility.
insanemomof4
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM
How sad and tragic i hope this no good rotten sob rots in jail for the rest of his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on May. 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM
((Hugs)) don't beat yourself up about it. It may have not even started yet when you knew her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I,m so sorry for your loss love. Prayers to you.

in thinking and I do know this sounds mighty strange, she died the good fight... She stood her ground and while yes she died, and that is tragic at least she had the balls to tell the MFER to go to hell.

JennPearce
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM

That is so heartbreaking. :( I'm so sorry.

MomofBoys838
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like she was a very sweet, special little one.  Please don't blame yourself...it is very likely that the abuse didn't start until after the summer you babysat her.  If there were no signs from her, there is nothing you could have done.  (((Hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)