• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaving 5 year olds alone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I am going to a concert out of town with my older daughter in June. We will be gone for 2 days. My older daughter is a teen and will be watching her 5 year old twin sisters this summer. I told my ex he needed to find a babysitter for 2 days when he works for the twins while we were gone. (I offered my sisters to watch them but they live across town and he does not want to be inconvenienced like that) That was over a month ago. I checked with him today and he said that he thought he would just leave them home alone for 6 hours each day while he works. He was dead serious.

Ugh! Of course I told him no way and I will find a sitter. My sisters are only 30 minutes away, inconvenient maybe but better than being alone!

But who says that? My girls would freak out if they were alone that long! 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kellbell4
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Holy crap. No way in hell would my 5 year old have been ok being left alone that long, hell she gets into things being left alone for 10 min. My friends 5 year old likes to light things in fire. I would have throat punched my husband if he suggested that

shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:28 PM
Yikes. Suppose that's what he was going for? Leave it til the last minute and force you to foot the bill for childcare on his time.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 5, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Hell no, he's nuts!
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:31 PM
Um not way. Not in my world. It's illegal . stupid. And highly dangerous
Emycf
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM
I can't imagine dd's father even thinking something like that. She's a good girl and we can trust that she wouldn't burn the house down, but anything can happen at anytime.

Also, being alone for that long at such a young age would be emotionally traumatizing.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM

That is pretty crazy. If I were you I would call and make sure they make it to your sisters and have someone check on them to make sure they aren't alone while you are gone. 

That is just insane. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Um, no. Hopefully he was just screwing with you to get under your skin. Hopefully.
shayshay1317
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:35 PM
Uhhhh...the hell?!?!?! I wouldn't leave a 10 year old he alone for 6 hours a day...maybe for like 20 mins while I run to grab milk really quick or something. BUT 5 YEAR OLDS?!?! Yeah, no. I hope he was just joking. That's insane.
AngelSinger
by Angel on May. 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM
No way in hell. Find out the law in that area, and email it to him. Five-year-olds are in no way capable of being alone for six hours a day!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)