• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like my 5 year old is very, very behind

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
He's starting kindergarten in august. I feel awful that he is behind before he's even started.
What does a typical child know entering kindergarten?
My first child started reading when he was 3, so this is something that I don't really understand or know how to help him with.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AvantGardener
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Kindergarten skills

• writes his or her own name
  • buttons own pants and zips
  • able to take on and off shoes with no help
  • can put on and zip his or her own jacket
  • can reciet the entire alphabet
  • can count to 100
  • can use the bathroom with no help
alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Quoting AvantGardener:

Kindergarten skills

• can count to 100

All of this and I would say

Is able to recognize and write at least all of the uppercase letters, and know their sounds phonetically. 

spunky946
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:39 PM
What makes you think he is behind?
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on May. 5, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Check your States website they might have free programs or work books or suggestions to help you prepare them. My state had a free program I put ds in the year before kindergarten that really helped prepare him.
Talienas
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
To count, do the alphabet, recognize letters and numbers, write their name. Just work with them but in a fun way. My youngest dd didn't read before kindergarten and is the top reader in her class.
AvantGardener
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:42 PM

While those are good skills to have, I don't think her kinder will be behind if he can't do those things yet. Kids come in to kinder at so many different levels. My kids were both going in being able to read but in general they all even out by the end of the year. 

OP the main thing with the list I provided is that if you child can master those things before school starts they will require less help from the teacher in those areas and help the class to run smoother. Nothing sucks more for a teacher than having to zip everyone's coat before recess every day. Or when parents send their kids to school in lace up shoes but they can't tie them themselves. The most important thing is independence. Teach him those skills so that he has the baseline to learn the curriculum and doesn't tie the teacher down with mindless stuff. You can also look at your school stats to see what percentage of the students going in to kinder have had some preschool. That will give you an idea of where the class will be.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting AvantGardener:

Kindergarten skills

• can count to 100

All of this and I would say

Is able to recognize and write at least all of the uppercase letters, and know their sounds phonetically. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 5, 2015 at 11:43 PM

I felt like that too with my youngest. He couldn't even hold a pencil properly nevermind write his name.  Once he went to K he picked up everything so quickly  and soared and I was worried for nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM

If he can count to 25 and knows his colors and say his ABC's and is recognizing them too- learning the phonics, he's okay.

My gosh there is such pressure on kids even before school age.   Makes me sad for them.

Really important is that they learn to behave themselves and to follow directions and not be wild or a bully.

Polkadotted
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:47 PM

The expectations of kindergarten are not developmentally appropriate.  There's a wide range of normal. I'm sending kids who know very little to kids that have many sight words.

Have you been to round up?

3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:47 PM

I went through the same thing. My daughter was reading at three and was in chapter books by kindy. My son had no real interest in it and I felt like I was pushing him too hard. He's in second grade now and is doing just fine. He LOVES science. He'll read about weather and animals happily. Non fiction and sports are his favs. Each kid is just different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)