Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP! Having Problems Breaking The Pacifier. (UPDATE)

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM
  • 21 Replies

Ok before anyone freaks out I'll go a head and admit I got myself & child into this mess. I was one of those 1st time moms who swore I would never___. I gave in at 6 months when trying to sleep train my son. He took it for the 1st time since being born (he never liked pacifiers before). Well that was the end of that! His teeth came in real late. So I let him keep it he calls it his "bubble". Kind of looks like a bubble I guess. Anyways, he's almost 3, will be June 11th. Its been time to say bye bye to bubble since his last tooth came in 3 months ago. I was dreading it! I kept saying ok next week, next week. Well last Monday I started with poking a whole in bubble I gave it too him during the day (I never do that he gets it at nap & night time bed that's it). But I wanted to see how my son would react. Nothing! So at nap time last Monday I cut off the tip. He kept it in his mouth like nothing was wrong with it till last Thursday at nap time. I cut off a little more, he said Momma "its broken".I said "what happened?" He said " I don't know it's broken". But kept it anyway. Well i cut off a bit more this Monday. Nope nothing, he still wanted it. Well last night (Wednesday night). I cut off more now its too the point he cant keep it in his mouth. But wont let it go. Keeps saying "it's broken". He woke up a million times trying to make excuses for why he wouldn't sleep. But I knew it was the bubble. He couldn't keep it in his mouth. I finally took it. I told him another baby needs this bubble. I will give it too him. Big boys don't need bubbles. He said "okay momma" gave it too me. Then again kept waking up or just not sleeping and getting up. He never cried like I thought he would. He kept asking for it. I finally caved (I know shame on me) I gave the broken bubble back. Why won't he let it go? I know it's his comfort but I am trying to make it so unusable that he don't want it. It's not working! Sorry for the book but help! I felt horrible taking it away like I did. Even though he seemed to understand he's a big boy and he don't need it. I told him I would never take his favorite blankie from him. Thinking that would make it easier for him to give up bubble. Nope I guess not. :-(

(UPDATE) 5/8. Yesterday 5/7 I sent my son too school without his bubble so he wouldn't have it for nap. While he was gone I threw out all 10 bubbles. I broke down his convertible crib into a toddler bed. When he came home, he was excited about his toddler bed. He said "I love my new bed mom". That night he asked for his bubble. I reminded him he gave it too a new baby that needed it more, I told him big boys don't need bubbles. He cried a little bit. Then slept all night with no getting out of his bed! I couldn't believe it! Then today 5/8 at nap time he asked for it again. Cried about it and got up one time. I put him back down again and he slept for 2 straight hours! I'm a happy momma! I hope it stays this easy forever. Because with my kid nothing is easy with him.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:18 AM

It sounds like you were really close to breaking the habit before you gave it back.

MarriedMyPrince
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:21 AM
No unfortunately I wasn't. He didn't go too sleep till 11pm. We had been going back and forth for 2 hours. Dh said he has school earlier tomorrow so give it back to him for the night. He said you can take it permanently tomorrow. He only has school twice a week. Today being one of them.

Quoting 3companytoo:

It sounds like you were really close to breaking the habit before you gave it back.

MarriedMyPrince
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:22 AM
I'm the parent that don't cave in. Dad caves! Not me! But I totally caved in tonight.

Quoting MarriedMyPrince: No unfortunately I wasn't. He didn't go too sleep till 11pm. We had been going back and forth for 2 hours. Dh said he has school earlier tomorrow so give it back to him for the night. He said you can take it permanently tomorrow. He only has school twice a week. Today being one of them.

Quoting 3companytoo:

3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Breaking a habit is usually uncomfortable. You may have a rough night or two but he'll be fine. I have heard some people break the habit by doing something like the Tooth Fairy but just switching it to be a Pacifier Fairy. She takes the pacifier in the middle of the night and leaves a big boy toy.

MarriedMyPrince
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:33 AM
He seemed to understand hes a big boy theme. but I doubt he will understand the paci fairy. I will try it though. Thank you. Poor baby breaks my heart to know I'm the reason he is so upset.

Quoting 3companytoo:

Breaking a habit is usually uncomfortable. You may have a rough night or two but he'll be fine. I have heard some people break the habit by doing something like the Tooth Fairy but just switching it to be a Pacifier Fairy. She takes the pacifier in the middle of the night and leaves a big boy toy.

pinky_tuscadero
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe I'm just old school but I don't understand the big deal of kids having pacifiers at age 3.

My DD did and eventually gave it up on her own.

It started out with she would only have red ones. Then just the "one" red one. If it went missing a fit was thrown until it was found.

One day I lost it in a big store.  We got in the car and she she asked where's Po? I said I don't know...Here's your juice and handed her her sippy cup.

She never asked for Po again.

Diatech12
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:52 AM
We *kind of* had this issue with the bottle. He just turned 2 on the first.

I tried earlier but yeah, he screamed at me all day, threw this huge meltdown pathetic sad fit.
I finally gave it to him around 4pm because I honestly wasn't sure if that was the issue.
It was. The second I handed it to him he let out this HUGE sigh of relief and went and sat on the couch.
At that point I decided to wait till his birthday.
He hasn't had it since the first(his bday) and nap time was hard the first two days but now it's fine.
Just take it and move on. If it's thrown away you can't given in and give it back,
tklrcl2014
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:56 AM

Take it and throw it in the trash when he's napping and cover it with a paper towel or something so he can't see it in there. Then ride it out, it'll suck but DO NOT give in and buy another one. And DO NOT allow your DH to.

SamanthaSage
by on May. 7, 2015 at 2:00 AM
I wouldn't know. Here's a bump. I never gave mine a pacifier.
Toonkasmommy
by Challenger 💗 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:05 AM
I just threw it away, she missed it for about two days and then she let it go. She was one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)