Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This isn't what I paid $400 for - wwyd?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
About six weeks ago, we finalized our adoption of DD. Because it's so rare to have both mine and DH's families together and everyone dressed up, I hired a photographer. She came to the courthouse and took pics of everything. Tons of candid shots while we waited, in the courtroom during the actual ceremony, and lots of posed group pics. She came highly recommended, so I was happy to pay her fee of $400.

She told me that it would take two weeks to edit the pics and then she would give them all to me on a disc so I could print them however I wanted. In the back of my mind, I knew that I would have at least one pic framed with nice matting for both my mom and my MIL for Mother's Day. I thought two weeks would mean I'd get the disc in early April and have plenty of time to deal with the printing and framing.

The photographer sent me a few previews a few days after the ceremony, and then I didn't hear from her again. I waited until it had been almost four weeks and I contacted her for an update. She offered an excuse and told me that the disc would be ready last week. It wasn't, and I still haven't heard from her. At this point, I'm really kind of sad and frustrated that the pics aren't ready yet. Mother's Day is in three days and I don't have gifts for my mom and MIL. I realize that's not the end of the world and I'll find something for them, but still....

I'm mostly just venting, but also wondering what I should do. I'm terrible about being assertive and I definitely don't want to piss her off and then she does a crappy job of editing, so I feel like I'm walking a fine line. Also I do want to be understanding, because I know that she truly does have a lot going on right now. But I feel like if she couldn't handle the workload, she should have referred me to another photographer or just flat out declined the job, you know? *sigh* It's obviously bothering me a lot because I'm up at 1:30am thinking about this....
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by squeekers on May. 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM

bump and a (((hug)))

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:26 AM
That sucks :( I'm sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:26 AM
Hugs. I have no advice.
mlomax07
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:27 AM
2 moms liked this

what are the terms of your contract????  please tell me that you signed one!!!!

proverbs 31 woman 

mlomax07@yahoo.com
csxt99
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM

I'd call again. There is no excuse for it to take that long to edit photos and prepare a disc. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:29 AM
I would ask for at the very least one good picture to be printed and framed for the occasion. if she can't oblige I'd go full on crazy bitch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM

Ask her for just the "raw" (not sure if that's what you call them, sorry) - unedited - photos on a disk. Don't let her BS you. Tell her unedited is fine and you need it ....tomorrow! Then you can take it to a photo kiosk at Target at least and print out some photos  so you have something to give them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM
Quoting mlomax07:

what are the terms of your contract????  please tell me that you signed one!!!!

proverbs 31 woman 

It was pretty simple - not even a whole page. Basically just said that I'd pay her $400 which would include her shooting for two hours, 50 edited images (to be selected by her with my guidance as to what I specifically wanted) as far as content) and rights to print them, and the remaining unedited images and the right to print them. The contract says that she will provide this within 10 business days, but it doesn't really say what recourse I have if she doesn't (not that I want anything because I really just want my pics - we seriously didn't even take pics with our phones because she was there and this is obviously a once-in-a-lifetime event).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 2:35 AM
Quoting Anonymous 3: I would ask for at the very least one good picture to be printed and framed for the occasion. if she can't oblige I'd go full on crazy bitch.

That's a really good idea, thanks. I know she's edited a few already because she sent me the previews.
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:38 AM
Keep calling. I fund i can be mire assertive over the phonr. Sorry about the pictures. Congratulations on the baby! That's awesome
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)