Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be mad if I made your kid clean up their own urine?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Back story - I work in a daycare centre that caters for children up to 12 years of age. We have ONE toilet for staff/parents. If we do have any over 9's in the centre, they also use this toilet for their own privacy. One of the workers has a 11yo boy that she often brings in so that he doesn't have to go home alone.

Today at work, the 11yo boy used the staff/adult toilet right before me. I waited right outside and went in immediately after him and found urine all over the toilet seat and the floor. I opened the door back up and caught the kid with his mom. I said "Hey; (kid's name) you made a mess in the toilet. Could you please go and clean it up because it's YOUR urine not mine". Like I would ANY other child that attended the service. He turned to me and said "No. It's your job. I don't want to". His mother LAUGHED; apoloigised to me and said she (nor I) could force him to clean up his mess and walked out the front door. So; after I cleaned, mopped and then eventually peed; I went to the director and informed her of WHY I was still there 20 minutes after my shift had ended - at her asking. She, of her own accord wrote up a warning for both the mom and the child. Now my coworker is mad at me because apparently I should have kept my mouth shut originally. What do you think? Would you be mad at me if I asked YOUR 11yo to clean up their own urine?

Edit before it gets asked: The kid would have been handed a pair of gloves and paper towels and been instructed to wipe over both the toilet and floor where his urine was. I would have handled all chemicals. The children at our centre (once old enough) are encouraged to clean up their own messes as they go; spilt milk, water, rubbish on the floor and occasionally wiping up their own urine if they excessively urinate on the floor/around the toilet.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 5:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccasmommy09
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:07 AM

I would have backed you up and sent my kid back in to clean up after himself. 

702girly
by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that mom is a real piece of shit, and she's teaching her kid to be one too. I'm sorry you have to work with such trash.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 5:10 AM
Same here and my oldest is five.

Quoting rebeccasmommy09:

I would have backed you up and sent my kid back in to clean up after himself. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 5:11 AM
I thought this post was going to be about a younger child having an accident and you making them clean up their pee, I was expecting to be irritated. But this was perfectly fine at 11.
Smaug
by Book Worm on May. 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM

I would have done the same.  She's setting herself up for some fun times in the future!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 5:19 AM

Lol - No. I would never make a young child clean up their accident. If it was a 4/5yo that I knew did it on purpose - they would ASSIST me in cleaning it and themselves up, but not all by themselves.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I thought this post was going to be about a younger child having an accident and you making them clean up their pee, I was expecting to be irritated. But this was perfectly fine at 11.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 5:23 AM
Yes. I'd slap your bum and call you Sally!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 5:26 AM

What?

Quoting Anonymous 4: Yes. I'd slap your bum and call you Sally!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 5:31 AM
Yes, I would be mad. In return, I would slap your bum and call you Sally! Comprende?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

What?

Quoting Anonymous 4: Yes. I'd slap your bum and call you Sally!

Racer15
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:34 AM
Does his mother let him piss all over the place at home? He's old enough to know better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)