Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ds is sick and it's the school's fault!

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM
  • 317 Replies

The air conditioning at the school broke and needs to be completely replaced. They say they are going to have to finish out the year (may 29) without it. I don't know about the rest of the year but for the next 10 days it's going to be around 88 to 90 every day.

My ds(7) came home from school yesterday exhausted and just wanted to sleep. Now he has a headache and a stomach ache and says he feels bad. A few other kids had to go home too.

The teachers kept turning the fans off so the kids could hear. They did have
access to bottled water but I guess it didn't help.

This isn't the only thing they've done either. I hate this stupid school!

So now I have to wake ds up and take him to the urgent care to be seen to get a Dr note when really all he wants to do is sleep. The school gets shitty if you miss more than 5 days without an excuse.

edit: my ds has allergies and just a few weeks ago broke out into hives all over his body so his health is not the greatest right now. I'd appreciate it if people did not call my 7 year old names. 

Also, the windows don't open so tehy just have the fans which they keep turning off and the water. My child wasn't the only one that got sick.

by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM
7 moms liked this
We didn't have AC at all when I was in elementary school. Find another scapegoat. And this was in the 90's mind you.
LadyAmaranth
by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Overreaction much OP?
He'll live, lots of kids deal with no a/c in heat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM
How would you handle the ac situation if you were the superintendent?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this
This is true, but you could also open the windows. Most newer buildings don't have windows that open.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

oh ffs kids back in the day went without fans & shit...

Amy_M
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM
4 moms liked this

What is urgent care going to do?  What a waste of time and resources.  I never had AC and I managed to get through school just fine

angelachristine
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Scapegoat implies it wasn't the heat that made him sick but it was. It made some other kids sick too. It wouldn't have been so bad if they left the fans on like they said they would.

Quoting Anonymous 2: We didn't have AC at all when I was in elementary school. Find another scapegoat. And this was in the 90's mind you.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
It gets above 90 on the regular here at the end of the school year, none of the schools have air conditioning. Heck my house doesn't have air conditioning. I would speak to the school about having a fan kept on, otherwise, as long as kids wear weather appropriate clothing and drink lots of water, they should be completely fine in 88-90 without AC.
misskitty25
by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

hope he gets to feeling better.

TheyAreMyLoves
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM
Our Elementry did but the high school didn't. We lived.
My son is in jr high (different school) and they don't have AC either. No deaths yet. Lol

Quoting Anonymous 2: We didn't have AC at all when I was in elementary school. Find another scapegoat. And this was in the 90's mind you.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on May. 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
He probably has a virus.

It's going around.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)