Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not speaking to parents cause they didn't pay for college...thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 93 Replies
I know I've posted this before, but I'm interested in opinions as the situation has flared up again.

My aunt and uncle are very traditional people. They have 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl. They're very religious and conservative, and the church they attend believes women's place is in the home and men should work.

My female cousin is the youngest. Her 3 brothers were allowed to go to college, fully paid by her parents. They had all gone to private Christian high school. When she was a senior, she wanted to apply to lots of engineering programs. They said they wouldn't pay, as they didn't support her working, espcially not in a male dominated field.

She applied behind their backs anyway, got scholarships, moved out and went. Shes sonce become a manager and gotten an Mba as well. She's had minimum contact with them since. They've apologized but she wants nothing to do with it.

The situation has gotten bad again because she just had her third child. They've never been allowed to see or meet her other two, and since their sons all live far away these are the only kids they could be active in their lives with...

What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:25 AM
10 moms liked this
Your title is misleading.

Her parents are misogynistic douche bags. Good for her.
Kenre
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm with the daughter. I would be the same way. I wouldn't bring someone into my life that is going to tell me I'm wrong for going for higher education.

My mom wanted me to drop out of high school and get married like a "woman is supposed to do". I have my high school diploma, went around the world with the Navy and now am attending college for free. I don't talk to my mom and I moved as far as I could from my parents. They don't know my kids and I enjoy that thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they ahouldn't have been so unfair to her. Treating her as a aecond class citizen because of her gender and their religion made this happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this

I think her parents screwed up and made life harder for her than it needed to be. They need to realize that in this day and age lots of women work to support their families. I also think she needs to sit down with them, tell them how she feels, work it out, and move on.  Grandparents can be wonderful parts of our childrens lives.

funny_girl3
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM
5 moms liked this

I think it's entitled to expect your parents to pay for anything when you are an adult.  However, I can understand that it hurt her feelings that her parents paid for her brothers, and refused to pay for her simply because she chose a career that they didn't like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM
Well it more than them not paying for college. I understand her reasoning.
I however, will not pay for either of my kids to go to college
terra221
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't blame her one bit. Her religious parents should have a firm grasp of the concept, you reap what you sow.
randi1978
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM

This has more to do with their ass backwards religious beliefs and not so much a refusal to pay for higher schooling.

Her parents are douchebags.

TheLadyCash
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a sad situation all around.

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Was this posted before????

In any case, her parents treated her poorly. They really showed or offered no support in her bettering herself and pursuing her dreams and goals. Just because she is a girl does not mean that she should be treated like a second class citizen. Her parents were wrong in their treatment of her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)