Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drinking makes you vulnerable to sexual assault. ETA:

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM
  • 186 Replies
1 mom liked this

My cousin was murdered when she was 15. She had only been 15 for 2 months. The drinking post going on right now brought up some memories, so I was googling stuff on her.. reading over the case reports... Something stuck out this time. This comment (im copy pasting it):

"This is a tragedy which could have been avoided if the youths had not been drinking," he said. "Tiffany became vulnerable to sexual assault because she was drinking."

And for some damn reason, it really pisses me off. Should she have been drinking? NO, absolutely not. But the way its worded almost feels like she is supposed to share blame. All she is guilty of is underage drinking.

Tiffany and her friend went to a party. They were drinking. While only half conscious, 1 of the 3 boys started raping her. When she began vomiting, they drug her outside. They urinated on her, making jokes. Then, that same boy raped her some more. And, they hit her with a weight when she was coming to.

Afraid she was too close to their house, they drug her further back in to the woods. It was freezing rain that night, and only 34 degrees out. 1 of the boys thought she might freeze to death, so he called 911. But, afraid of what would happen if cops came to their home, he gave them the wrong address, and just hoped she would be found. Then, went to bed.

Tiffany was found the next morning, in a tiny top, panties around her knees and a pair of socks. She had froze to death.

They were charged with murder, but ended up with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Later, as in 12 years later, The one who raped her (multiple times) is serving a life sentence for multiple rapes and assault on other woman, once he was an adult. And those women were not intoxicated. 

Turns out a piece of shit is a piece of shit, whether the woman is drunk or not!!

EDIT:

I would like to clarify. I do not disagree with the general statement "drinking makes you vulnerable". I do NOT agree with them putting it in her article, with her name. It, to me, felt like they are making her take part blame. ALL she was guilty of was drinking a bottle of wine, underage. Our youth need education, yes. But why are we just trying to show women how not to be a target? Why, if they wanted to use her article as a teaching aid did they not remind men that raping tiffany killed her. Hitting her, killed her. Dragging her outside and leaving her killed her! THEY need to take responsibility for their actions, which are the actions that directly contributed to her death. If we shamed rapists, if we severely punished them..maybe it would scare younger boys to even think about it? Instead of just scaring women to not drink, not wear revealing clothing, not go out at night, not to wear a pony tail, etc.. etc..

by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 7, 2015 at 9:56 AM
Hugs. I'm so sorry :(
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 7, 2015 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you. My mother said she looked so awful, she wouldnt allow me to attend the funeral. She didnt want me to remember her like that But Not allowing me to say goodbye, really messed me up :(

Quoting vegaswife2011: Hugs. I'm so sorry :(

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 7, 2015 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry mama. I'm guessing she was just trying to protect you.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Thank you. My mother said she looked so awful, she wouldnt allow me to attend the funeral. She didnt want me to remember her like that But Not allowing me to say goodbye, really messed me up :(

Quoting vegaswife2011: Hugs. I'm so sorry :(

echoishername
by Misty on May. 7, 2015 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm so sorry. I never understood that mentality. It tells society that its ok to prey on the week.
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 7, 2015 at 10:01 AM

I agree. Instead of telling girls they need to avoid alcohol, we should teach the boys to avoid vagina. While teens should NOT be drinking, they are missing the bigger picture.

Quoting echoishername: I'm so sorry. I never understood that mentality. It tells society that its ok to prey on the week.

Mommy2Bri425
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM
People like that are predators and if not stopped, they'll just prey on the vulnerable. Sorry for your cousin.
momngram
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I don't think the article is insinuating / suggesting she is partially at fault for what happened. 

I'm sorry for your loss.  Her death was especially heinous.

cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:05 AM

I think you mean weak.

Quoting echoishername: I'm so sorry. I never understood that mentality. It tells society that its ok to prey on the week.

Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on May. 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

((((HUGS))))

I don't think comments like that are trying to place blame... I think they come from a place of people feeling helpless against evil people and they're grasping for any sort of control they might be able to get over the situation.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I agree. He was the most violent one. Showed no remorse. He should of been punished long ago.

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: People like that are predators and if not stopped, they'll just prey on the vulnerable. Sorry for your cousin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)