Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't agree with the zero tolerance rule in many situations

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

And no my child hasn't gotten in trouble because of it.

But I have seen kids suspended for fighting when they were defending themselves.  My friends son (caught on video) was being punched and kicked and slapped by two kids.  He shoved one kid, punched the second, and ran down the hallway to the closest classroom.  All three received the same punishment.

A six year old at dd's school was suspended for hugging a girl who was crying (PDA)

My friends dd was constantly being picked on by one girl. The girl would pull her hair and run off, trip her, pull chairs out and more.  Friends dd punched her when she had enough of asking her to leave her alone.  Both suspended.

A kid at our school was suspended for having tylenol in her locker.  A kid was suspended for bringing a plastic knife to spread peanut butter.

Common sense needs to be brought back.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on May. 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM

I would raise hell if my kid got suspended because two kids were beating him up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM
Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

I would raise hell if my kid got suspended because two kids were beating him up.

Apparently the kid was expected to just walk away.
Aislin
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM
That's why I'm glad our school board did away with zero tolerance. It's one of those things that sounds good at first but doesn't really work
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Zero tolerance is for lazy administrators.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I agree with you. I think it is so stupid.

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I agree. It's stupid. It teaches kids nothing other than you can't defend yourself because you're the bad guy if you do...you can't show any compasion or sympathy towards anybody because you're the bad guy if you do. The lack of common sense is outstanding!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Agree

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM
Usually, all you have to do is start naming and shaming on social media and to the local news. Then, magically, the suspensions go away. It's absolutely ridiculous that school administrators have to be embarrassed into doing their jobs, though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM
I don't either. My nephew had been bullied for years by the same kid. School knew it and wouldn't do a thing about it. Finally he told the bully he was going to punch him if he ever bothered him again. The bully told and the next thing my nephew knows he was in the office. The police were called on him for making a threat and he was told if he ever touched that boy he would be going to jail even if the bully hit him first because he had threatened him.
My sil ended up pulling him out to homeschool.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM

I agree with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)