Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guns in school, yay or nay?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

My state is voting on a bill that will allow a trained and certified school employee to be armed in school.

those who know me may be surprised by this, but I don't think I'm ok with that. I'm all for armed officers or security, but I have a concealed weapons permit and that training class was ridiculously easy. I still wouldn't feel comfortable being armed around that many students, especially students who are larger than me. 

I would want more training, and sorry, but I would want a huuuuge fucking dude to be the one armed. It's kind of hard to sneak up on a giant and forcibly take his weapon. Not to mention that women are more vulnerable to one punch knockouts because their necks are generally smaller and weaker. (Neck size and strength is a huge determining factor in your ability to be knocked out). That may sound sexist, but it's how I feel.

under what conditions, if any, would you be ok with armed employees in your child's school?

by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I would never be okay with armed employees in my child's school.  That being said, we do have armed guards at the gate to our home.  We don't live in the US.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Yeah, that would make me uncomfortable too...
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM
We had unarmed security guards and one police officer at my high school and he was the only one armed. I see no reason for anyone besides a trained law enforcement officer to be armed in any school.
Djinn83
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Am I sexist if a female police officer being armed in high schools makes me uncomfortable too?

Quoting owl0210: We had unarmed security guards and one police officer at my high school and he was the only one armed. I see no reason for anyone besides a trained law enforcement officer to be armed in any school.

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:26 AM

All a gun free zone means is that there is no one to stop a gunman from shooting everyone. The nut that shot all those people here in Colorado, passed up several theaters until he found one that had a gun free zone sign.

As long as the people are trained I have no problem with them carrying guns. In fact, I believe if more people carried guns (especially since the FBI has said that ISIS is in every state) the safer we'll be. I'd never move to a place like NY or any city that prohibit or limits my access and use of guns.

Djinn83
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I'm not for gun free schools, I actually support guns in schools... But under certain conditions. 

Quoting DisabledVet:

All a gun free zone means is that there is no one to stop a gunman from shooting everyone. The nut that shot all those people here in Colorado, passed up several theaters until he found one that had a gun free zone sign.

As long as the people are trained I have no problem with them carrying guns. In fact, I believe if more people carried guns (especially since the FBI has said that ISIS is in every state) the safer we'll be. I'd never move to a place like NY or any city that prohibit or limits my access and use of guns.

A_McCool
by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM

I would not be anywhere close to comfortable with school employees being armed. 

ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 7, 2015 at 11:31 AM
I would be ok with an armed security guard in school. Maybe not every single teacher though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 11:31 AM
I would only be OK with legit police officers having guns in schools.

Not even security.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 11:32 AM
My hs had only one sherriff.

But yes if something happened to him i would except a lock down at the school. And the teachers armed with a gun if anything happened. But i would expect them to keep it on safety and locked to where the kids cant get to it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)