Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kicked off the team, charged with a hate crime

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/sport/marshall-university-player-arrest/index.html

What do you think? This player punched a same sex couple and was kicked off the football team and now will potentially be charged with a hate crime...
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback1
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM
7 moms liked this

Don't commit a hate crime if you don't want to be charged with a hate crime?

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM
I think the punishment fits the crime.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM
4 moms liked this

I have a problem with hate crime legislation in general. People should be punished for their actions, not their opinions. 

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Good.

catcameback1
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Motivation is an important part of criminal code.  It isn't about opinions, it's about what you do with that opinion, which is an action.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I have a problem with hate crime legislation in general. People should be punished for their actions, not their opinions. 

DensHag
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Good. It's against the law. He should be arrested and kicked off the team.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM
This happened in my home town. This dude is huge and its wanting to claim self defence, yah right.

I'm surprised but glad that Marshall moved so fast to dismiss him. They are all about footfall here.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM

I agree that premeditation is a factor - planning to kill someone and then doing it is worse than just flipping out on the spot.

But explain to me how "I killed him because he was gay" is any worse than "I killed him because he hit on my girlfriend" or "I killed him because I wanted the rush." Spraypainting "n*****" on a black man's car is worse than, say, "F*****"? I don't think so.

Quoting catcameback1:

Motivation is an important part of criminal code.  It isn't about opinions, it's about what you do with that opinion, which is an action.

Quoting B1Bomber:

the_dude
by abides on May. 7, 2015 at 12:37 PM

This is why you don't go around punching folks...

catcameback1
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:39 PM

The fact the the person was motivated by hatred is what makes it worse.  Criminal laws are formed by the ideals of society.

Society tends to think these crimes are worse than similar crimes motivated by other things.  

Thus, the criminal code reflects that.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I agree that premeditation is a factor - planning to kill someone and then doing it is worse than just flipping out on the spot.

But explain to me how "I killed him because he was gay" is any worse than "I killed him because he hit on my girlfriend" or "I killed him because I wanted the rush." Spraypainting "n*****" on a black man's car is worse than, say, "F*****"? I don't think so.

Quoting catcameback1:

Quoting B1Bomber:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)