Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why abortion needs to remain legal

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM
  • 2 Replies
According to recent data from the UN, girls aged 10-14 make up 2.13% of maternal deaths in Paraguay. Two births a day are from girls under 14.

Thankfully the girl is stable now, but the director of the hospital she was taken to has publicly acknowledged that her pregnancy puts her at high risk.

This is confirmed by the World Health Organisation and health professionals around the world who all agree that pregnancy poses specific risks to young girls whose bodies are not fully developed.

The risk to their lives is simply greater. This means that all options regarding the pregnancy, including safe abortion services, must be made available.

A mother’s plea
The girl's mother knows the danger posed to her daughter: she has submitted an administrative plea to the hospital asking for the 10-year-old to be given an abortion. Unfortunately all signs point to this having been ignored – according to latest reports, the 10-year-old is due to be sent to a centre for young mothers.

Demand that Paraguay grant her right to a safe abortion: send an email to the President of Paraguay and the country's Attorney General using our form above.

You're being heard: please keep taking action
On 7 May, a judge set up an interdisciplinary panel to advise on the girl's case. It's a welcome first step, and something we were calling for.

Now the panel - formed of three professionals proposed by local organisations, three members of the Health Ministry and three members of the Supreme Court - must meet and help the girl get the support and medical services she needs.

The right to safe abortion
The decision to deny an abortion is against Paraguay’s own laws: abortion is legal in the country when the life of the woman or girl is at risk. And, for this young girl, this risk is undeniable.

The Convention on the Rights of the Child states that the best interest of the child has to always be of primary consideration and states, including Paraguay, have an obligation to ensure access to abortion in these circumstances.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/child-denied-abortion-after-rape-save-her-life
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM
I do agree that abortion should be legal for medical reasons.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 7, 2015 at 1:35 PM
I really feel for that girl :-( They didn't find out until she was already 20 weeks along. I can't imagine giving birth at 10.

And how shitty is it that the authorities didn't pursue the step father until it came out she was pregnant? The whole thing disgusts me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)