Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help my DS with a etymology \linguistic project

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:40 PM
  • 29 Replies
My DS has a language arts project. He has to compare and contrast different regional phrases and words.

Since this site is comprised of women from everywhere, I thought this would be a good place to ask. So, what are some words or phrases that are unique to your location, where are you from and what's the cultural connection? For instance, here we call all soft drinks Coke, some places call it pop, or soda.

Thanks for any help you can give!
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM

shopping carts are called buggies. I live in southern Virginia

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 7, 2015 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I call all soft drinks Coke.

In a grocery store I use a buggy.

Access roads run next to the interstate.

If I say "bless your heart" it's not a good thing.

In the lower 48 it's snow mobile. It's a snow machine in Alaska.
Piskie
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:46 PM
Trouble is.... A lot of people don't know what the regional words are. ... because they're the only ones they use.

Start off with a big list of words and see if they differ.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 1:48 PM
As a kid, I played duck duck goose. Everyone thought I was weird because in mn they call it duck duck grey duck. I'm originally from wi
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:51 PM
That's a good point. Maybe I should have asked it differently, maybe asked if anyone had relocated and had to learn a new vocabulary,lol.

That's why we're having trouble coming up with anything, everyone we know talks like us!
Quoting Piskie: Trouble is.... A lot of people don't know what the regional words are. ... because they're the only ones they use.

Start off with a big list of words and see if they differ.
TexasSonrisa
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Y'all, fixin' to, might could, Coke = all soft drinks, Calling people sweetie, sugar, honey, etc, Access roads, feeder, and frontage road are all the same, but it depends on where you are...

"Bless your heart" is usually not a good thing...

Also, we have lots of "Spanglish", i.e. mixing Spanish and English.

I think my SN is pretty self-explanatory :)

DDDaysh
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
A "small" manmade pond that people often have on their farms around here is called a "tank".
DDDaysh
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:57 PM
Oh, in South Texas!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:09 PM
I live in PA. The difference in language is so crazy even from one county to the next, lol. It's pop here, sub (not hoagie), I have never in my life said "yinz" that's a Pittsburgh thing, a shopping cart. I'm trying to think of some more, I lived in VA for a while and the only things I really remember were the soda/pop debate and all adults being Mr/Miss Firstname. Here it's always been Mr, Mrs, Miss Lastname.
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:20 PM
What's "yinz"? We do the " miss-firstname" here too, for the most part.
Quoting Anonymous 2: I live in PA. The difference in language is so crazy even from one county to the next, lol. It's pop here, sub (not hoagie), I have never in my life said "yinz" that's a Pittsburgh thing, a shopping cart. I'm trying to think of some more, I lived in VA for a while and the only things I really remember were the soda/pop debate and all adults being Mr/Miss Firstname. Here it's always been Mr, Mrs, Miss Lastname.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)