Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car accident/Debt collection question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Back in October, a friend gave me a van. We did not write up a bill of sale/gifting right away, as they were waiting on the title to come in. A few days later, I was hit in a multi-business parking lot while making a right hand turn into a drive thru.

The cops showed up and said it was considered no-fault because parking lots are private property and refused to write up an accident report. The cop just made sure we exchanged information civily.

It was at this point I discovered my friends had cancelled the insurance a month earlier. I got the van Saturday, this happened Tuesday. The van was still in their name.

I talked with the other guy's insurance and told them repeatedly that it was my van now, not my friends. I explained I only had it for a few days and had not yet gotten it into my name and gotten insurance on it.

They decided to try to go after my friend's insurance anyway. That obviously did not work. So in January, they contacted my friend again and said they want just shy of $3000 for a car worth $1500 at best. (I looked it up on a few different sites.)

Again, I told them to leave my friend alone, it is my van, not hers and that I was not paying a dime when their driver hit me and his car wasn't even worth what they wanted. Also, his sustained damage to his front bumper and head light and back bumper and tail light, both on driver side. No other damage. My van sustained damage to the entire passenger side and one door no longer works.

Today, my friend received a certified letter from a collection agency, again demanding just shy of $3000.

Other than a lawyer, what are our options? How would you handle this?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CameraMum
by Anne on May. 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM

your friend is screwed, legally the car was hers and it wasn't insured.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM
Wow what a mess. People really need to do things right, even if it means waiting for everything to be legal before driving the car.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 1:51 PM
You need to pay what is owed. You should have had insurance from day 1.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 7, 2015 at 1:51 PM
A lawyer may not even be able to straighten it out. As the legal owner, they are responsible & as the driver, you are & they can go after either or both of you. This is exactly why when I sell a vehicle, I go with them to transfer title. It's different in different states but in my state, you can get screwed good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Nothing. Let them go to court. See what the judge orders and you pay the judgement would be the right thing to do, I believe.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on May. 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM
That's about the simplest way.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Nothing. Let them go to court. See what the judge orders and you pay the judgement would be the right thing to do, I believe.
ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM

im sorry but if it was still in her name legally it IS her van, you were just driving it. Call the DMV and ask, we have been in similar situation, but it was on the road and we got a police report stating it was their fault. She will need a lawyer to prove it was the other drivers fault. 

IfTheTiaraFits
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM
So, the insurance company is placing you at fault? If you are at fault, you have to pay what is owed. The car has to be worth more than what you think. If the cost to fix is more than the car is worth, my understanding is they total it out.

But, long story short, you or your friend are going to have to pony up the money or have your credit trashed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM
You suck it up and pay it. You should have never drove it with it having insurance in your name.
IfTheTiaraFits
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM
I didn't think about that. Good advice. :)

Quoting Anonymous 4: Nothing. Let them go to court. See what the judge orders and you pay the judgement would be the right thing to do, I believe.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)