Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions plz: teacher issue.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

I attached an email that I sent on Tuesday morning to one of my DD's teachers. I cc the principle as well as her homeroom teacher. Today I had yet to receive any response so I called school ended up having to leave a VM for principle asking for a return call. I only waited an hour but called school again asking receptionist if there was a way I could talk to principle sooner. She connected me to principle. Principle said she had received my email and she expected teacher to respond but that she would now make sure she did.
I will attach teachers response in comment section.
I'm not satisfied with her response. I had hoped/ expected teacher to tell me she would reassure DD that in the future she could come to her for help without fear of being belittled. I also thought she could give me her side of things or give me insight on what happened.
( some back info)
DD was diagnosed with ADD mid year ( no hyper) and is responding well to meds. Brought her math grade at mid term from a D ( a low d) to an A. All her other grades improved as well with A's and one B( 1℅ from an A).
She has never, not once been a disciplinary problem. She would rather chop off a limb then do anything remotely wrong. ( not as fantastic as it sounds having a child like this)
She has extreme anxiety issues. Which she has been seeing a counseler for two years.
I've been trying to not get emotional and respond with a level head realizing that most kids wouldn't be that bothered by this exchange.
Her main teacher knows about the diagnosis and anxiety. Other teachers probably aren't really aware. Although you can see her arms and parts of her legs are covered in scabs/ new sores where she picks at herself and her fingers are chewed to bleed sometimes. She has a stress ball she carries with her that is helping a little.
How would you respond if at all to the teachers response.

Mrs. C,
My daughter is in Dr. N's class.
I'm coming to you with a problem I don't completely understand, but I'm hoping together we can best figure out how to move forward the remainder of this year.
M is in the gifted class on Tuesdays subsequently she misses out on all the fine arts that day.
The week that your 4th grade classes started building kites fell on a Tuesday which meant M missed the first week of making the kites as did the child she was paired up with as he ( L,?maybe) is also in gifted. The next time IEE came around M was present and got to begin her kite but her partner was absent due to illness that day so she went it alone. Evidently she was struggling to get started or hit a road block because she failed to grasp the instruction. She reports to me that at that time she asked for your help. She was asked by you "can you not read?" She answered you, that she could in fact read. At that time she was instructed by you to " then read the instructions".
M started to cry quietly until some child in class noticed and came over and sketched some example out. Where she was able to see what steps she needed to take to complete her project and she did bring her completed project home.
Since this incident, M has changed how she feels about engineering. Your class was her favorite! Hands down she was more disappointed the weeks she wouldn't be able to attend due to gifted than any other fine art.
She was excited to join the IEE club she heard about and now says she isn't interested in attending. Today was the point though that I had to reach out to you. This morning while preparing to come to school she stated to me that she was grateful that it was Tuesday and today her class has IEE but she didn't have to go because of her gifted class.
M is a strong student she loves learning. In actuality her highest strength is in her reading & verbal skills. I would have to assume her style of learning might not be simply reading something though and that she learns best visually seeing an example. Which is why her classmate showing her with a quick drawing example made the difference.
Initially after hearing the response M was given when she asked for extra help I was disappointed, naturally as a parent I don't like to see/hear about my child being made to feel dumb or not supported by her teachers but with that said, I do understand or at least try to remind myself that we are all human. Have bad days, feel frustrated, annoyed, are over worked, ect. Unfortunately things that are said/done can leave a lasting impression on someone who like M is super serious about school and she is sensitive to what her teachers think of her ( more so then her peers right now) how ever long that last:) I know you probably won't even know what happened that day a few weeks ago because you are not nine years old and it didn't make an impression on your day but I'm watching this child lose something and I need your help to get it back.
Respectfully, x
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greyzmama
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think your email was great! I think the teacher acted like an ass.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 2:13 PM
Thank you for sharing your concern. I have not been able to speak with M, as you know, because she was not present for Engineering when Dr. N class was here May 5, 2015. Her next Engineering class is Wednesday, May 13. I will speak with her at that time. Thank you.

Regards,
AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:15 PM

I think their reply is fine for now... and you can find out what is waid on Wednesday.... and hopefully your child will feel better.  How old is your kid?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you for sharing your concern. I have not been able to speak with M, as you know, because she was not present for Engineering when Dr. N class was here May 5, 2015. Her next Engineering class is Wednesday, May 13. I will speak with her at that time. Thank you. Regards,

spunky946
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow your email was way too long. I don't get what you were trying to accomplish
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM
7 moms liked this
A few things 1. A child doesn't always retell a story with 100% accuracy. 2. Her response was completely appropriate and 3. To think a principal should respond within an hour of your message is pretty ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM
She is nine. She is young for her grade as she turned 5 the day before school stated so always the youngest in her class.

Quoting AmiJanell:

I think their reply is fine for now... and you can find out what is waid on Wednesday.... and hopefully your child will feel better.  How old is your kid?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you for sharing your concern. I have not been able to speak with M, as you know, because she was not present for Engineering when Dr. N class was here May 5, 2015. Her next Engineering class is Wednesday, May 13. I will speak with her at that time. Thank you.

Regards,

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd be pissed with the teacher as well.  The teacher sounds like an asshole.  But, you need to let all of her teachers know about her anxiety problems and get a 504 in place for her.  The ladies in the autistic group can help you navigate it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM
Without being an a**! I was trying to say you belittled my child and that's not okay. I want her to think before she speaks to these kids. ( I know its long)

Quoting spunky946: Wow your email was way too long. I don't get what you were trying to accomplish
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM

I think both the email and response was fine. Its all about how the teacher addresses the issue with your child. So just wait and see how that goes.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:26 PM
3 moms liked this
Principal. Principle is what interest is paid on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)