Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my toddler is to heavy?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
We just got done w ds kindergarten visit and the Dr said that my 40.2 inch tall 40lb son is to heavy for his height.

Wtf?!

He's the smallest kid on his tball team, and the second smallest entering school!

is he really large?!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Aaaaw lol he sounds pretty darn tiny, actually!
Bogdonmomma1
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM
My son is smaller then that. And the doctor said he was just fine.
Holland04
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM

umm my son is in 1st grade and is 49 inches and 60 lbs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I've been underweight my whole life and when i was a child they told my mom i was over weight and at risk to be obese if my mom didn't watch it. I generally let their comments about my lo weight go in one ear andout the other unless i ask
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM

That doesn't sound to big at all.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on May. 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM

How old is he? 

If you plug in 4 years old and the other numbers into a growth chart for %, it shows 80% for weight and 41% for height. 

My almost 7 year old is right at 40 lbs, and about 47" tall. My girls are tiny so I have a hard time judging other kids' height and weight. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I don't take a lot of the weight/height & BMI stuff that the Dr has to say unless I see that it is causing a problem. I was told that my ydd was overweight but I ignored it because she was so active and had NO issues while active. I would base whether or not a child is too heavy based on their ability to be active.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 7, 2015 at 2:50 PM

40lbs is on the heavier side (60%) for a 5 year old and 40 inches is on the shorter side (16%) for a 5 year old, so yeah he's definitely quite up there (90%) on a height-stature chart. 

http://www.infantchart.com/child/

AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM

His weight for his height is probably a bit heavier than he wants him at... if you plot him out he's very short for his age but has an average weight... but if you plot out weight for height he's around the 85th percentile... and I think they like kids closer to "average" at 50th percentile.   Not knowing what he looks like, I think short and stocky build?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 7:19 PM
He is short, and I don't think of his as stocky.... I mean he has some baby fat still kinda but he's not a big kid. Heck, he still fits in 2t clothing. Lol

Quoting AmiJanell:

His weight for his height is probably a bit heavier than he wants him at... if you plot him out he's very short for his age but has an average weight... but if you plot out weight for height he's around the 85th percentile... and I think they like kids closer to "average" at 50th percentile.   Not knowing what he looks like, I think short and stocky build?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)