Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shunned by the breasties!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies
1 mom liked this
So here's a little confession/vent of mine...

Although I'm very proud of the fact that I made it six months breast-feeding my twins (Not an easy feat ladies! 😜) I still always feel a little self-conscious and even "looked down" upon when I go to play centers and women are breast-feeding and I'm sitting there shaking up my bottle of formula. LOL I try to tell myself that it's all in my head and they could probably care less, but today I went to an indoor play center and women who were previously chatting with me moved to another area and excluded me from the conversation once they saw that I was formula feeding my kids. They were all breast-feeding and I couldn't help but feel like the red headed step child. 😥 I don't think it's my imagination… How is it that moms are not supporting each other more? It really frustrates me when I know that I'm a good mom and my babies are healthy but I feel that this one choice is ostracizing me from other moms.

Women can be cruel...
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM
I'm a former la leche league leader, I don't care who formula feeds-the rates of breastfeeding past 6 months are so low here, I would be judging everyone. ( I live in the south).
ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM
I'm curious as to why you stopped?

It could be as simple as not having much in common from their eyes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 3:02 PM
5 moms liked this
supporting each other more? this isn't kindergarten it's not my job to make you feel good about yourself. you're a grown woman! some people prefer to spend their time with like minded people.

with that said... you don't want to spend your time with assholes who would exclude you for formula feeding. that is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. you're doing the best you can for your family so fuck them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 3:03 PM
Yeah, people can be cruel.

I had a hard time breastfeeding my child, and I can only imagine how difficult it was for you with twins.

I applaud your 6 months of some serious work! Be proud - you have 2 healthy little ones. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 7, 2015 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Women are cruel in general.
Yami1980
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:09 PM
Wtf?
I'm sorry I have never been able to breastfeed (I'm pregnant with baby #4) as I take epilepsy meds that are class D and pediatrician and my neurologist do not allow me to and I do not feel bad about it. My children are perfectly fine
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM
I can't imagine that just because of the way I feed my children means that I don't have anything in common with other young moms? That would be absurd. I'm so "crunchy" in other ways… Cloth diapering, baby wearing, amber beads, ..I just can't imagine that not breast-feeding would mean that I've got nothing to offer.

I stopped breast feeding for a variety of reasons and am comfortable and very content with my choice. Having twins is a different ballgame from when I breast-fed my Singleton for two years. It definitely allowed me to except help from caregivers in a way that I couldn't before and my pediatrician is also my husband's mother (MIL) and we made our decision based upon our knowledge of what is best for our family.

Quoting ResidentRedhead: I'm curious as to why you stopped?

jamamama00
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's really sad to read the comments and realize how many women truly define themselves by how they feed their kid!!! I've always said the lactivists seem to make breastfeeding their whole identity. Guess I was correct. Just be happy in knowing that you have more going on in your life lol
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM
Not every mama who bf is a boob snoot. It just shows their character, why would they upset you?
mary716
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:15 PM
Careful, that's titler you're responding to, she thinks every woman should breastfeed until her children are 75 years old

Quoting Anonymous 1: I can't imagine that just because of the way I feed my children means that I don't have anything in common with other young moms? That would be absurd. I'm so "crunchy" in other ways… Cloth diapering, baby wearing, amber beads, ..I just can't imagine that not breast-feeding would mean that I've got nothing to offer.

I stopped breast feeding for a variety of reasons and am comfortable and very content with my choice. Having twins is a different ballgame from when I breast-fed my Singleton for two years. It definitely allowed me to except help from caregivers in a way that I couldn't before and my pediatrician is also my husband's mother (MIL) and we made our decision based upon our knowledge of what is best for our family.

Quoting ResidentRedhead: I'm curious as to why you stopped?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)