Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mothers Day about shaming non-mothers? Thoughts?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:26 PM
  • 62 Replies
3 moms liked this

I just read an article written by a woman in her late 30s with no children. She stated that she hated attending church on Mothers Day because they always acknowledged the mothers during the service and she felt like she was being singled out and alienated because of it. As though she was less of a woman because she didn't have children. She even stated that she once stood up when the minister asked for all mothers to stand because she didn't want to be excluded and felt like everyone would look at her differently if she stayed sitting down. 

Thoughts?

My opinion is- I am proud to be a mother, I love it. I am in no way trying to shame others because they don't have children but I'll be damned if I hide from it either. Should we not recognize vets on Veterans Day because some who wanted to serve were unable to or were discharged? Of course not. Recognizing someone does not equal shaming another. Would mothers day be hard if I didn't have children, of course it would. It would be hard to see others enjoying their day with their children but I certainly wouldn't write an open letter to my minister saying he needed to stop recognizing mothers on Mothers Day because I felt left out or because someone in the audience might have recently suffered a miscarriage or is 'just a step mom' If you have been pregnant, you are a mom. If you have helped to raise children that are not yours, you are a mom. If your children are grown, have died, moved away, etc you are still a mother. 

by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

It's about Hallmark & the Floral Industry making money....

ETA: & Kay Jewelers too

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:27 PM
She needs to get over herself.
lizzie_ann
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:28 PM

A friend of mine shared that post this morning with her own comment about how the daughter she adopted was born a few days before but the adoption wasn't official so she wasn't "really" a mother yet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this
She's bringing more attention to herself by acting like a whiny ass brat than she would by sitting at church. How stupid. My SIL is like this, has no kids, by choice and pressure of her husband and acts like mothers day is a horrible day out to get her.
DensHag
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:29 PM
5 moms liked this
Does she get pissy at other people's birthday parties, too? She sounds very immature.
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 7, 2015 at 3:30 PM
Just another way to draw sympathy and attention. This is beyond stupid!
3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I think some people are getting too sensitive. The whole "Everyone is a winner and gets a trophy!" thing is backfiring massively. 

eztwins
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I think Mother's Day is stupid so ya I think she's getting bent out of shape over nothing.
alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:37 PM

My cousin shared it on facebook as well. She is a step-mom to 2 kids, has been for years now. She stated that mothers day makes her avoid church and makes her want to cry because shes not a real mother either. 

Quoting lizzie_ann:

A friend of mine shared that post this morning with her own comment about how the daughter she adopted was born a few days before but the adoption wasn't official so she wasn't "really" a mother yet. 

alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM

100% agree. I hate the 'everyone makes the team' mentality. It turns people into whiny little brats.

Quoting 3companytoo:

I think some people are getting too sensitive. The whole "Everyone is a winner and gets a trophy!" thing is backfiring massively. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)