Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so freaking scared and nervous!

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 7:06 PM
  • 47 Replies

Mobile Photo

My sweet lil man, Richie (4yrs), is getting tubes in his ears and his adenoids removed tomorrow morning. This sucks cause I won't be able to go into the OR with him. I know this is a routine procedure but I can't help it. And he's going to be in pain afterward and I won't be able to take it away.
This seriously sucks! I feel horrible about what I'm allowing to have happen to him! I know it's for the best.
He has always had bad ear infections he was 3 weeks old when he had his 1st ear infection and it was in both ears. And just recently he's on his 2nd antibiotic for his current ear infection. It's been 3 weeks and this ear infection won't go away. It's this ear infection that got the ball rolling for the tubes and adenoidectomy(sp?) he's also a lil speech delayed from all the ear infections. He's also had a perforated ear drum from an infection. So trust me I know this is the best thing for him but I'm still scared and nervous.

Anybody else who's babies had to have these procedures done? How old was your kid and how were they afterward? What can I expect?

EDIT since a couple of people asked, lol. He has a gumball in his cheek. He was a good boy during a shopping trip so he got to get a gumball. He was so cute with it in his cheek I had to take a pic, lol.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My son had the same thing done at 3.

He wasn't in any pain and enjoyed all of the ice cream and popcicles he was allowed after the procedure.

You'll be there when he wakes in recovery. Try not to worry, it's a very simple and quick procedure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds had both those done. Tubes in twice and adnoides out the second time tubes for put in. He won't be in a whole lot of pain. My ds came out and wanted to go to the arcade as soon as we left.
2boys13
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest son had his first set of tubes put in at 1 1/2 years old, the second set at 3 1/2 and the fourth set around 4 1/2... he had his tubes removed at age 7. (he also had his tonsils and adnoids removed)

The procedure took 20 minutes and he was in little to NO pain at all after... after his third one he was running out of the hospital perfectly fine. He very rarely gets sick now.

It is scary when your kid goes in for surgery, but this one is a pretty easy one. Good luck!

mlawson803
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD had tubes and adenoids removed at 2. She had no pain afterwards. Once we got home you couldn't tell she had surgery that morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Whoa! Calm down momma. Your anxiety is not good for him. Its really not a big deal. Lots of kids have this done. My oldest was three when he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. By that evening, he was up and around and eating Popsicles. Pre-surgery, he was so curious about all the procedures, and fascinated by the whole thing. They only get fearful if we do.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 7, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Are they going to take his tonsils too?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah he will be fine mama!!!!   Just breathe and it will be all over soon  :)   It really is not that bad at all.

3companytoo
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure you can't go in the OR with him. My son drove a power wheel with his teddy riding shotgun to the OR. I carried him in and stayed until he was under. Sometimes hospitals cater to the little ones.

slw123
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My son had tubes put in when he was 9 months old. Like your son, he had his first ear infection at 3 weeks old. Continuous rounds of antibiotics never could clear up the infections. The procedure was very fast. Literally 15 minutes from the time they took him back until they put him back in my arms. But he didn't have his adenoids done. The ENT wanted to get the tubes done before it did affect his speech and considering we hadn't managed to clear up the infection up to that point it felt like the only logical step. He's almost 10 now and hasn't had a single ear infection since the tubes were put in.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It's okay momma! Deep Breath! You and he will be fine. My nephew and nieces have had this done. It really goes so much quicker than you think. He won't even really care about what happened once he starts getting the popsicles! I know it's scary but it really will be okay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)