Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I mutilate myself by picking the cracks in my feet into canyons :-(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

I do it most when something is really bothering me.  It doesn't seem like I'm doing much damage at the time, but then my foot will hurt for weeks when I walk afterwards.  I get pedicures when we can afford them to prevent the cracks in the first place.  If I don't have acrylic nails on, I'll shred and bite my cuticles.  Even gel nails I'll have picked off in a few days.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MilkLover0203
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:08 PM
I'm a picker too. I drive A LOT for work, and I find myself picking at one finger with the other, or repeatedly sliding my wedding band off and on. For my feet, I put bag balm on then my socks overnight. No cracks.
yorkiemum
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM
Ummm okay thanks for sharing
Mermaid65
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM
Get therapy. You're engaging in self injury.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Get a ped egg and keep your feet callous free.  Use thick lotion at night with socks. 

Also, an antidepressant like Prozac will help with problems like that.  It's a form of anxiety/OCD.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:11 PM

My dad always had bag balm lying around.  I love how that stuff smells.

Quoting MilkLover0203: I'm a picker too. I drive A LOT for work, and I find myself picking at one finger with the other, or repeatedly sliding my wedding band off and on. For my feet, I put bag balm on then my socks overnight. No cracks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:12 PM
I do the same thing. It's a symptom of anxiety.
cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I am a picker.  I will pick sores on my fingers out of nervous habit.  I hate it.  I have tried for years to stop.  I have done it since I was a child.  It gets so bad sometimes my fingers bleed and sting for days and yet I still pick at them.  I also bite the insides of my cheeks. 

Butterfly1108
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Sorry to hear you do this to yourself but it sounds like a bad habit...try keeping petroleum jelly on your feet put it on thick and wear socks...I usually do it in the winter time but sounds like you have it often than me.

Hope you find a solution for this. My concern would be if you have deep cracks aren't you afraid to catch some kind of staph infection going to get pedicures???

Good luck!

purplemonkey702
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Is fake nails on your toes a thing?

I kind of do that, but with my fingers. I bite and pick my nails until the bleed and become infected.I'm probably going to lose my nail on my index finger since I picked at the base of my nail.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:20 PM

I want to stop.  I think at this point it is a coping mechanism.  My husband is a truck driver and we had three kids in a row.  Barely just got our oldest off to kindergarten.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

I am a picker.  I will pick sores on my fingers out of nervous habit.  I hate it.  I have tried for years to stop.  I have done it since I was a child.  It gets so bad sometimes my fingers bleed and sting for days and yet I still pick at them.  I also bite the insides of my cheeks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)