Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG!!! I might actually cry!

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:15 PM
  • 168 Replies
2 moms liked this

My medical bills have depleted our savings to almost nothing, and I'm still battling with Disability. DF makes enough to make ends meet, but it's been tight. I'm still in college, and got a refund check in the mail yesterday for just shy of $2,900. I called the student accounts office this morning, and they told me it's from my Pell Grant, and since my tuition bill was completely covered by my federal student loans before the grant paid out, the money is mine to do whatever I want with.

I opened an account with the local bank DF uses, and deposited the check. I could have just cashed it, but I didn't feel comfortable walking around with that much money in my wallet. When I got home, there was another refund check from the federal student loans for almost $1,500!

That gives us enough money to pay off all of our debts, and still have enough leftover for whatever the hell we want. There's some things we've been needing, but the rest will go into savings.

The medical debts have had me really worried, and made me feel like a burden on DF (he's reassured me that he's never thought of me as a burden, but I still feel bad that he's going broke taking care of me...).  It feels amazing to have that weight off my shoulders, and be ahead for once.

by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lillibella
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:16 PM
3 moms liked this
First!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't forget the whopping $5 your gofundme netted in.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Awesome!

othersideM
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM
Awe! I'm truly happy for you! That is fantastic!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM
8 moms liked this
The money left over from the Pell is still supposed to go to school related expenses. The excess money from the loan isn't a refund, it's a LOAN.
theResidentCat
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this

so let me get this straight. you are excited you took a loan out to pay off your debts which means you are still in debt?

theResidentCat
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the first was pell grant second is a loan. She has no idea how much the interest will triple on that.... shm

Quoting Anonymous 2: The money left over from the Pell is still supposed to go to school related expenses. The excess money from the loan isn't a refund, it's a LOAN.

~~~ Time to Let it GOOOOO ~~

Lillibella
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: Don't forget the whopping $5 your gofundme netted it.
Episkey
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM

I believe I missed a few things...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Ha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)