Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitter help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
DS will be 7 next week. He gets out of school at the end of May. He is going to camps mostly this summer but I have a few days I don't have covered. The first week of June is one of them. No camps are started yet. I saw on FB on our local county moms page a mother posted about her daughter looking for babysitting jobs. She is 16. Getting her license this week (so she could drive to my home). She lives 10 minutes away and I only work 10 minutes away. She is coming for a meet/greet/interview next week. What do I ask?? I know I should know this, but I'm drawing a blank! She won't be driving DS around. I only work 8-3 so I'll need her from 7:45-3:15. I also come home for lunch each day so she'd have a least a 1/2 hour "off" (obviously we will still pay since she couldn't leave and come back in that time). I've never had a babysitter besides grandparents and occassionally after school backup care at a center. I'm excited he'll have someone to play with but I want to make sure I ask the right questions!

eta I've already asked and recieved 2 references. One from her principal and one from a family friend with 2 young children she babysits. Both said nothing but greats things about her.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:25 PM
I don't know. I'm sure she will be fine. I wouldn't ask anything really. Just tell her what I expected. I also wouldn't have her driving my kid around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Defintely not. I'm close enough and so is the fire department in case of emergency. I guess I just felt like I needed to ask her interview like questions, etc... Mostly, I want to make sure her and DS are a good fit and I can trust her.

Quoting thenameshailie: I don't know. I'm sure she will be fine. I wouldn't ask anything really. Just tell her what I expected. I also wouldn't have her driving my kid around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:54 PM
Not enough drama in this post? lol
JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on May. 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM
When I interviewed girls as a babysitter, I asked real life things ..

What would you do if little junior had a temp of 100?

What would you do if they cut their finger/leg/etc?

What if little junior is yelling and throwing things at you? Walk me through how you would respond?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM
Those are good. I think I also want to kind of just let her and ds hang out inside/out and see how they interact or should I just interview her first? I'm so new lol I've always been the one interviewing for a babysitting position, lol.

Quoting JessT5280: When I interviewed girls as a babysitter, I asked real life things ..

What would you do if little junior had a temp of 100?

What would you do if they cut their finger/leg/etc?

What if little junior is yelling and throwing things at you? Walk me through how you would respond?
JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on May. 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM
I let my kids hang out at the table while I was asking the questions. I had about 4 girls come over the same day - one right after the other. My kids picked their favorite, and I picked mine .. which happened to be the same girl. She's been with us now for almost 2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 10:06 PM
aw, that's cute. I'm glad you found someone great! This girl sounds great so far, soI really hope it works out!

Quoting JessT5280: I let my kids hang out at the table while I was asking the questions. I had about 4 girls come over the same day - one right after the other. My kids picked their favorite, and I picked mine .. which happened to be the same girl. She's been with us now for almost 2 years.
MilkLover0203
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
If you've already gotten references, I'd do a short trial run so they can get comfortable with each other. Make sure to let her know of his diet restrictions if any, and also about TV/Video games.
nicetry11
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:09 PM
Nanny cam!!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:10 PM
You will know within the first five minutes if she will work out. Watch how she interacts with your ds, and how she talks to him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)