Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So... I work as a...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Special education instructional assistant in a class with severe autism. As aids, we teach, deal with behaviors and pretty much run the class. The lead teacher holds iep meetings (but will ask our opinions on goals and such) and puts together a schedule to follow (though we do prep work). The teacher made a comment about doing an experiment with only living off of 2/3 her income to see if she could. Her pay check is $4500 a month. I told her it was impossible for aids to do that as we only make $1100 a month. She felt so bad! She couldn't Believe how little we made when we did so much in the class.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2015 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM
Um, the teacher has a college degree and is responsible for the education of the students. The aides assist the teacher, but are not held accountable for educational goals, lesson planning, IEP meetings or anything else. They are state certified and go to continuing education to keep their licence current. I am a special education teacher in a bilingual classroom with sever cognitive and behavioral issues and I gaurentee the aids DO NOT run my classroom or deal with behaviors on their own.
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:47 PM
How could she not know? I am a SPED teacher and know aides make crap pay. Mine gets $14.00 an HOUR ( this is after 11 years employment) divided out over summer, making for really tiny checks I'm sure. My aide is great but she's not responsible for what I'm responsible for. SPED is a lot of work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:49 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2: Um, the teacher has a college degree and is responsible for the education of the students. The aides assist the teacher, but are not held accountable for educational goals, lesson planning, IEP meetings or anything else. They are state certified and go to continuing education to keep their licence current. I am a special education teacher in a bilingual classroom with sever cognitive and behavioral issues and I gaurentee the aids DO NOT run my classroom or deal with behaviors on their own.

I have my college degree too. In exactly the same thing. She did 1 extra year to get a credential but that is all. And as aids we get in trouble with the kids educational goals too if they are not properly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Get a better education - you wont have to work so hard for your money.

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
How could you get in trouble for goals? My assistant has NOTHING to do with the writing of the IEP. That's strange that you'd have anything to do with goals.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2: Um, the teacher has a college degree and is responsible for the education of the students. The aides assist the teacher, but are not held accountable for educational goals, lesson planning, IEP meetings or anything else. They are state certified and go to continuing education to keep their licence current. I am a special education teacher in a bilingual classroom with sever cognitive and behavioral issues and I gaurentee the aids DO NOT run my classroom or deal with behaviors on their own.

I have my college degree too. In exactly the same thing. She did 1 extra year to get a credential but that is all. And as aids we get in trouble with the kids educational goals too if they are not properly.
squeekers
by squeekers on May. 7, 2015 at 9:51 PM
DH's mother was a SN teacher back in the 1980's.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:52 PM
Quoting KairisMama: How could she not know? I am a SPED teacher and know aides make crap pay. Mine gets $14.00 an HOUR ( this is after 11 years employment) divided out over summer, making for really tiny checks I'm sure. My aide is great but she's not responsible for what I'm responsible for. SPED is a lot of work.

I don't know, guess it didn't dawn on her. The aids are a very essential part of our autism program. Even our principal told the teachers that the aids did most of the work. And the teachers agreed. It's the aids getting injured and doing most of the working with the students. Not so much in the other sped programs, but definitely the autism ones.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Well then get your credentials and make an additional 3k a month. Come on, now. He aides in my classroom barely finished HS and are just there for the paycheck.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Then go get your credential. She has more responsiblities.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2015 at 9:54 PM
Quoting KairisMama: How could you get in trouble for goals? My assistant has NOTHING to do with the writing of the IEP. That's strange that you'd have anything to do with goals.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

They write them (with our opinions) but we actually teach the kids 95% of the time. Actually, the only time the teachers work with them is when they are testing them for the next iep.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)