Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not all picky kids

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this
Are picky because parents cater to them. My oldest son will eat anything. My youngest is picky. My parents were very adventurous eaters. I was picky, my brother was not. I now eat almost anything, I totally outgrew being picky. My youngest is 11 and is slowly trying new things. He actually eats a pretty good variety of foods but likes things plain and separate. I do not make a big deal about it. When I make meatloaf, I make him a hamburger. I know how it feels to be forced to eat things you really don't like. My parents would make me sit at the table for hours. It was awful and I would usually end up falling asleep at the table without eating. What makes a picky kid not picky is watching others enjoy things and they will eventually start trying them.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by 200 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM

I agree. I have had picky eaters and kids that will eat everything you put in front of them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:37 PM
I had this weird thing when I was a kid -I could not stand for food to touch each other. For example mashed potatoes and peas. I dont want the peas rolling into the mashed pototoes or the potatoes touching the meatloaf. If the food touched each other I felt it was disgusting. Nauseated felt like I would throw up. I don't know why. I outgrew it but it was just something that bugged me as a kid.
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on May. 7, 2015 at 10:38 PM
I agree. I'm the same way with DS.
allycally
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM
My 14 year old is still pretty picky but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has a bunch of allergies and when he was younger was allergic to so many things that his diet was restricted. Now that he had "grown out " of many of them he still doesn't have an adventurous palette
Harmonytmrrw
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM
I'm trying to get my little guy to eat more things because he's extremely picky but I'm losing the battle. Haha
beeky
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM

I agree.

I'm picky, my oldest isn't but my youngest is.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM
I disagree. You said that you make him something different when he doesn't like whats being served, that is catering to him and encouraging his picky eating.
wilky5
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Agreed! My kids were all over the place and went through different stages. We definitely don't cater to it, but I was raised like you and we don't force the kids to eat things they don't like.
TresHijas111825
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:41 PM
I agree.
Hoppers33
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this
My parents did that, too. I wouldn't eat meat for a long time because my mom always cooked it so well done I could barely swallow it, but I had to sit there til it was all gone. I have no desire to give my kids a complex about food by doing crap like that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)