Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grammar Nazis/English majors help!!!!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
So I'm argueing in another post about this and need to know if I'm wrong.

Is this a metaphor?

once a several years ago a kid from my hometown died at a party I was at from alcohol poisoning. Kids drink too much at parties all the time and they're fine. In fact that kid drank less at that party than I and several other people did. So I guess his parents made too big a deal about his death, right? i mean I saw some kids drink an entire bottle of jack between them in a couple of hours and they were fine... It must not have been alcohol poisoning at all, clearly he was just coddled too much.

Anywho if I'm wrong I'll admit it and apologize. I said that wasn't a metaphor it was a deflection from the subject being discussed. This is in the post about the kid getting sick at school from the heat if anyone wants a reference.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Definition of metaphor in English:noun

1A figure of speech in which a word orphrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable:“I had fallen through a trapdoor ofdepression,” said Mark, who was fond of theatrical metaphorsher poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCESSYNONYMS

1.1A thing regarded as representative orsymbolic of something else, especially something abstract:the amounts of money being lost by the company were enough to make it a metaphor for an industry that was teetering
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 7, 2015 at 10:45 PM

metaphor is a figure of speech that identifies something as being the same as some unrelated thing for rhetorical effect, thus highlighting the similarities between the two. While a simile compares two items, a metaphor may compare or directly equate them, and so does not necessarily apply any distancing words of comparison, such as "like" or "as". A metaphor is a type of analogy and is closely related to other rhetorical figures of speech which achieve their effects via association, comparison or resemblance - including allegoryhyperbole, and simile.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:46 PM
You're right, they're wrong. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Oxforddictionaries.com is free
MamaRae85
by *you're on May. 7, 2015 at 10:52 PM

It's a bit on-the-nose to be a metaphor, more like an analogy. However, it was definitely not a deflection, either. It was a comparison that paralleled pretty well with the original subject matter.

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM
Not a metaphor as far as I see.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Metaphor, no. Mess of paragraph, yes.

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on May. 7, 2015 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I asked if the paragraph above was a metaphor not for the definition. I looked up the definition and it doesn't appear to be to me. I wanted others opinions on if it was or not.

Quoting Sassy762:

metaphor is a figure of speech that identifies something as being the same as some unrelated thing for rhetorical effect, thus highlighting the similarities between the two. While a simile compares two items, a metaphor may compare or directly equate them, and so does not necessarily apply any distancing words of comparison, such as "like" or "as". A metaphor is a type of analogy and is closely related to other rhetorical figures of speech which achieve their effects via association, comparison or resemblance - including allegoryhyperbole, and simile.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 7, 2015 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

As usual I just glanced at the original post but no its not a metaphor

Quoting katyusha42: I asked if the paragraph above was a metaphor not for the definition. I looked up the definition and it doesn't appear to be to me. I wanted others opinions on if it was or not.
Quoting Sassy762:

katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on May. 7, 2015 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you that makes sense. So I wasn't completely right but not completely wrong either. Too bad she called me a moron lol I probably would have apologized.

Quoting MamaRae85:

It's a bit on-the-nose to be a metaphor, more like an analogy. However, it was definitely not a deflection, either. It was a comparison that paralleled pretty well with the original subject matter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)