• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared this is going to kill me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

I am getting frustrated more than ever and scared even more than I all ready am since being diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic. I was diagnosed the end of March. I have been taking my blood sugar, taking my medicine ( Metiform 2x day, 500 mg each dose) and exercising for the last month. Today I woke up and my sugar level was 160. I ate a slice of whole wheat toast with butter and low sugar and a piece of sausage. Mid morning I had some peanuts. I checked my blood sugar before I ate lunch and it was 177. I had a turkey sandwich on a whole wheat sandwich round with lettuce, tomato, cheese and mayo. Later that afternoon I had apple slices with peanut butter. For dinner I had taco salad. The salad was lettuce, taco meat, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, salsa and a  serving of tostido chips. I checked my blood sugar two hours after eating and my blood sugar is 239. I took a walk today but it was a short one because a storm was coming. This is a pretty typical day for me and the readings are about the same. I have been taking classes and the RN looked at my meal  log and said the foods Im eating are fine.I go back to the dr on Friday so I will take my food log book with me then and see what the dr says. I am so scared this is going to take my life at an early age. I read articles and double check the serving sizes and carbs in everything I eat. I am drinking more water and increased my activity level. Some days I get more exercise than others. I dont know what else to do.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Anyone have any tips?

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Drop the bread, peanut butter, sour cream, peanuts, and trade apples for veggies. Especially all of those in one day!

It's very obvious where you're going wrong and im shocked they didn't or couldn't point it out. Id get a new rn.
RaLALA
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:21 AM
My granny has type 2 and she's 80. She also eats like a granny. Sugar free,taste free,fun free...ya know? It's possible,you just gotta find out what's works for you.

Hugs mama.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 12:26 AM

What would you suggest I eat then for each meal and snack? I have read that the things Im eating are fine and with in the carb allowance range. The bread I eat is whole wheat so its better than the white breads. Do you have any experience with diabetes?

Quoting kgsharber: Drop the bread, peanut butter, sour cream, peanuts, and trade apples for veggies. Especially all of those in one day! It's very obvious where you're going wrong and im shocked they didn't or couldn't point it out. Id get a new rn.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 12:27 AM
2 moms liked this
She has had a diagnosis for less than two months. It takes time to optimize medications as well, yes, diabetics need to watch their carb intakes. But this is s life-long condition and people need to make sustainable diet decisions and optimize medications around that, too. Cutting all fruit and carbs entirely forever isn't reasonable.

OP, you are doing fine. Keep tracking your blood sugars, and your meds may need to be tweaked. If you are overweight, lose weight. That's s given and I say that as someone in that boat, so not in an ugly way. If you aren't, just keep working with your doctor to find what works for you.

Obviously being diabetic increased risks for you. But it is far from a death sentence, and advances are being made practically every day and there are other medications available as well. Don't beat yourself up that you don't have perfect control less than two months in. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Quoting kgsharber: Drop the bread, peanut butter, sour cream, peanuts, and trade apples for veggies. Especially all of those in one day!

It's very obvious where you're going wrong and im shocked they didn't or couldn't point it out. Id get a new rn.
DarksMama
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:28 AM
So far, you're doing well. But lose the breads, corn, peanuts/peanut butter, and ease back on the dairy. Sub the fruit for veggies (not corn/potatoes). Go easy on starches as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 17, 2015 at 12:32 AM
What you're eating sounds fine. My mom has diabetes and eats more carbs and sugar then that. She just doesn't care but I told her she lands on the hospital again I'm not dealing with it. She had a handful of sugar one or two days before she ended up there last time. That flavored sugar pixie stix she aye a bag because she felt like it and yes she already had diabetes by then but that was 4 years ago.
othersideM
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:36 AM
I would up my exercise. I would say no less then an hour a day. No excuses.30 minutes X 2 times a day if you need to split it up . Also, how about veggies? You don't seem to eat much. Ask your doctor for a list of free foods. And remember, every body is different, just because bread is on the list doesn't mean it works for your body.
shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM
I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking it could be the bread and fruit. You have to be very very careful with bread, a lot of it is packed with sugar. Whole wheat especially to make it more palatable. Its not just sugar you need to look for, read the ingredients panel and look for things that end in -ose (sucrose, dextrose, maltose etc..), those are all sugars. You also often find corn syrup, molasses, honey, agave and such in different combinations. Even in high end bread, and the cheap stuff is just wonder bread with food coloring added.

If you must have peanut butter, try switching to a fresh ground. It has no added sugar or fats, just peanuts. So you get the flavor without the crap and maybe without the sugar spike.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 12:40 AM

Im scared to death about what I eat. I dont want to eat at all but know if I dont eat it will be worse. I was craving ice cream last night so bad but refrained from eating any. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: What you're eating sounds fine. My mom has diabetes and eats more carbs and sugar then that. She just doesn't care but I told her she lands on the hospital again I'm not dealing with it. She had a handful of sugar one or two days before she ended up there last time. That flavored sugar pixie stix she aye a bag because she felt like it and yes she already had diabetes by then but that was 4 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)