Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When's the right time?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My clients dog is 15 years old English bull dog. Blind in 1 eye and 80% blind in the other. Runs into stuff all the time. Last 7 months has had massive seizures and is on 3 different meds but continues to have seizures. Makes him drowsy. Pees and poops randomly in the house. He use to be house trained. Sleeps 22hours out the day. And snores because he can hardly breathe.

Would you put the dog down if it was yours? I'm feeling bad for it but don't think I could if it was mine.. Poor puppy..
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM

I would let him die naturally

SuperJo
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:08 AM

That's a touchy subject. My grandmother had a dog she was especially close to. In his old age, he suffered from blindness, kidney failure and would sleep the day away. I encouraged her to let him go (put him down), but she refused. I just couldn't let an animal suffer. It's heart-breaking.
There really isn't a distinguishable 'right time', though. I suppose it's up to the owner what's right for them and their animal despite what others may think.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:10 AM
It's hard to watch

Quoting SuperJo:

That's a touchy subject. My grandmother had a dog she was especially close to. In his old age, he suffered from blindness, kidney failure and would sleep the day away. I encouraged her to let him go (put him down), but she refused. I just couldn't let an animal suffer. It's heart-breaking.There really isn't a distinguishable 'right time', though. I suppose it's up to the owner what's right for them and their animal despite what others may think.

SuperJo
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's hard to watch
Quoting SuperJo:

That's a touchy subject. My grandmother had a dog she was especially close to. In his old age, he suffered from blindness, kidney failure and would sleep the day away. I encouraged her to let him go (put him down), but she refused. I just couldn't let an animal suffer. It's heart-breaking.There really isn't a distinguishable 'right time', though. I suppose it's up to the owner what's right for them and their animal despite what others may think.

I understand. Some people refuse to let go, especially if the animal has been part of their family for several years and has become family to them. It's a difficult decision for many.
I'm sorry it's hurting you so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:14 AM
Our family dog had cancer and a tumor over his eye. My parents weds adamant against putting him down until they watched him as he slowly and painfully died in front of them. My father made him an emergency appointment and their vet euthanized him free of charge. That baby's quality of life was so poor, that allowing him a natural death was cruel.

I would do the same thing for our pet if that time came.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:14 AM
Its hard... We knew when it was time to let my black lab go. We asked the vet a few weeks before and they said "we would know"... And we did.
Rough day.
Shes been gone 2.5 years and I miss her everyday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM
He just has no quality of life.. We caretakers give him meds and he's so out of it.. I feel for the family and the sweet dog. When he has a seizure in the day we have to give him 2 extra pills that over dose him.. It's rough

Quoting SuperJo:

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's hard to watch

Quoting SuperJo:

I understand. Some people refuse to let go, especially if the animal has been part of their family for several years and has become family to them. It's a difficult decision for many.I'm sorry it's hurting you so.

WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:29 AM
If I ever felt my dog was suffering even being medicated and I could no longer give him a decent quality of life, I would not hesitate to put him down.
Just like it it were me and I had no quality of life and was headed for a painful long death, I wouldn't want to live that way. So why should my dog whom I love
coala
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM

I would!  I don't want my pet miserable.....if it was legal to euthanize humans I would be pro-that for myself when I hit a certain point.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:37 AM

I would if my pet were acting like that and there was nothing the vet could do. We tried to nurse our cat back to health to prevent having to put her down and I still regret it. She suffered for almost a month because we couldn't let go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)