Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-vaxers question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Honest question.
If your 12 month old child suddenly lost his ability to walk and talk the morning after his MMR and Dtap vaccines. He was advancing normally and ahead on milestones prior. What would you do? Would you continue to vaccinate your child? Would you believe doctors telling you it's just a random coincidence with no explanation?

Would your first priority be your child or society at that point? Answer honestly.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missinkdmama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM
My child would not be vaccinated after that. I havent had a personal experience like this though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 10:59 AM
I was told I was a selfish asshole for not continuing to vaccinate. Because society is more important.

Quoting missinkdmama: My child would not be vaccinated after that. I havent had a personal experience like this though
missinkdmama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Theres always gonna be people that have opinions either way. Only you know whats best for your child. So other people dont matter.
They arent the ones who have to raise a special needs child because of something that was supposed to protect them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was told I was a selfish asshole for not continuing to vaccinate. Because society is more important.

Quoting missinkdmama: My child would not be vaccinated after that. I havent had a personal experience like this though
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM
I think you should do what you feel is best and not worry about what others think.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Have no clue till they could tell me what caused it. Then I would go from there and we will see what we do.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM
3 moms liked this
It would be clear that my kid was the 1 in a million that got an allergic reaction to the vaccine. I certainly wouldn't become anti-vax, just as I'm not against antibiotics just because my oldest had an allergic reaction to penicillin. And I certainly continue to give him other kind of antibiotics and other medications. You not vaccinating for other diseases or your other children over this situation is as if I never give my child another antibiotic because of his situation.
Also, correlation doesn't equal causation. I would need more proof than correlation to be able to say that the vaccine caused it. I certainly would do everything in my power to find out the cause for that situation, though.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:32 PM
That is a typical age for regression from asd. It has nothing to do with the vax. It would be like saying that caffeine caused my daughter to get her period. I didn't let her have any until middle school and her period started after that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I think that to many people are convinced vaccines are the holy grail of medicine and the only type of medicine that have reactions SO rare it couldn't possibly be that. 

Anything else, people would tell you to never give them that type of medicine or procedure again. But vaccines? They never go wrong. Any reaction that does happen is just normal. If it happens right after a vaccine and isn't normal, it's something else.

What? Who in the world knows but it was NOT the vaccine. See, people want proof beyond ANY doubt that a vaccine DID cause it but they don't require ANY proof that it didn't. They just believe it didn't.

So all you can do is go with yor gut instinct and do what you feel is right and not rely on other peoples opinions on this matter.  

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM
I wouldn't say your choice is selfish, but I think it's misguided. I understand the fear, but ultimately it's a groundless fear. As I said, my oldest son is allergic to penicillin. Does that mean I shouldn't give it to my younger son? Does that mean I shouldn't give my oldest other antibiotics (or any other medication)?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was told I was a selfish asshole for not continuing to vaccinate. Because society is more important.

Leigh84
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:02 PM
I can't say what I would do, that didn't happen to ds after his MMR and his TDap.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)