• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My heart hurts for him :'(

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:52 PM
  • 6 Replies
For those who don't know, we live with my dh's godmom. She's like a second grandma to ds. He also loves his real grandma (mil) very much. They're his favorite people.
Anyway, I'm just feeling very sad for him today, because he never gets to see them. They never make any time for him. Mil lives a few blocks away, but we only see her maybe once a month for 20 minutes at most. Godmil is rarely home before he goes to bed. He sees her in passing, and sometimes gets to play with her on Sunday. They breeze in and out of his day like he means nothing to them, and I know he feels it. He cries and misbehaves every time they disappear. No point to this really. Its been like this since he was a baby, so I don't expect it to change. But I wish it would. :'(

And before anyone says anything, this isn't about babysitting, or expecting anyone to take care of my kid for me. He loves them and wants to spend time with them, and is devastated every time they leave after only being here for 2 minutes.
by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Hopingthistime
by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Awww :( Have you mentioned to them that he wants more time with them or asked if they wanted to be a part of a art project or something? (I'm sure you have but figured I'd ask) 

I hope they make more time for him...

AnHpuresugar
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Try to set up a special play date for them if they are open to it. They probably don't even realize because they are just living their lives.
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:59 PM
We've tried. They might do it once, but it never becomes a regular thing.

Quoting AnHpuresugar: Try to set up a special play date for them if they are open to it. They probably don't even realize because they are just living their lives.
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:00 PM
We have, many times. And they see how upset he gets. They promise to do this or that with him "sometime", but it rarely happens.

Quoting Hopingthistime:

Awww :( Have you mentioned to them that he wants more time with them or asked if they wanted to be a part of a art project or something? (I'm sure you have but figured I'd ask) 

I hope they make more time for him...

Shy_Dia
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:01 PM
I'm sorry. My son and brother is the same way. Ds is 9, my brother is 17... brother has his own life going on and ds lives and adores his uncle. For years, my brother basically ignored him (normal teenage angst lol) but the last month has been weird. He normally doesn't talk to anyone at home anyways and when he did, it was shrugs and mumbling 'i don't know'... but he's more talkative, he spent a little bit of time with ds (fed the ducks, asks about his karate, etc). It's not a lot but ds doesn't say "deon hates me" anymore.
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Teenagers are a little more understandable. My bil is 15 and we don't see much of him either, but I didn't really expect to now that he's older, dating, etc. Ds is the only grandchild here in town, so I don't get why they don't want to see him. They drop everything for sil and her girls.

Quoting Shy_Dia: I'm sorry. My son and brother is the same way. Ds is 9, my brother is 17... brother has his own life going on and ds lives and adores his uncle. For years, my brother basically ignored him (normal teenage angst lol) but the last month has been weird. He normally doesn't talk to anyone at home anyways and when he did, it was shrugs and mumbling 'i don't know'... but he's more talkative, he spent a little bit of time with ds (fed the ducks, asks about his karate, etc). It's not a lot but ds doesn't say "deon hates me" anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)