• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does it mean to forgive?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 150 Replies
Is it really forgiveness if you don't allow the person to be in your life?

She says she left the situation at the cross and doesn't seek revenge. Is that really forgiveness?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reading.Rainbow
by Brigid on May. 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Not be pissed about it anymore.

QueenMama7808
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Forgiving a person is more about you than about them. Deciding not to hold a grudge doesn't mean you have to allow the person to be in a position to hurt you again.

GirlRobie
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I do believe you can forgive somebody for something, but also choose not to have that person in your life any longer.  

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Forgiveness is acceptance of life on life's terms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM

You've forgiven when you're able to make peace with the situation. You don't dwell on it or feel hatred or the need for revenge. You can look back without tears or regrets, you've just peacefully moved on. That doesn't mean that you owe the person who hurt or wronged you anything, not a damn thing. You can absolutely forgive from afar. Forgiveness is a gift we give to ourselves, it's not about the person who offended us.

onethentwins
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Yes. Forgiveness is letting go of resentment and anger.  It doesn't mean that you have to allow the person who wronged you the opportunity to do it again. 

VibeRant
by on May. 17, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Regard the issue, make a choice not to act, and to wipe the slate clean. 

But Idk if 'leaving it at the cross' means the same thing to her.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 17, 2015 at 1:32 PM
I believe you can forgive and not forget. Forgiving someone doesn't mean they're allowed in your life again. Forgiving someone doesn't mean you'll let them treat you poorly again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM
Its not forgiveness if she won't come to the family get together and reconcile with the person!

Quoting Danesmommy1: I believe you can forgive and not forget. Forgiving someone doesn't mean they're allowed in your life again. Forgiving someone doesn't mean you'll let them treat you poorly again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 17, 2015 at 1:36 PM
Forgiveness in my opinion, is to not harm someone that has harmed you or a loved one.

To allow the person that harmed you or a loved one back in your life is stupidly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)