• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS is NOT your slave

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies

Mobile Photo

DS is 9. His biological father gets him EOWE.
His girlfriend recently found a list of chore for kids to do, and they decided to make a list for DS of "chores" he has to do while there.
Some of them are reasonable, and age appropriate, others not so much.
I mean, washing the stove (including taking out the burners and washing under them), cleaning the tub, washing ALL the baseboards, and vacuuming the couch and the cushions.

I could see him doing it with help, but he is required to do them alone.
So, what is your opinion?

Eta- I just found out that is required to do these chores at his grandma's as well!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofboys88
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM
He is more than old enough if he has been taught how to do it. I was doing all that and more by age nine. Don't underestimate him. Plus it looks like he is getting paid? That isn't slave labor. My kids do NOT get paid to keep our home nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 2:09 PM

I think they are paying him slave labor. I would talk about upping his pay.

reynab27
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:09 PM
I'd say something to both...he isnt there long enough to make a big mess(dirty shower, baseboard,etc). I'd put a stop to that asap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM
Well, he hasn't been taught how to safely remove burners or put them back in, let alone how to clean under them.
Same with washing baseboards.

That is also a pretty hefty list for only having a child for 6 days a month.

Quoting momofboys88: He is more than old enough if he has been taught how to do it. I was doing all that and more by age nine. Don't underestimate him. Plus it looks like he is getting paid? That isn't slave labor. My kids do NOT get paid to keep our home nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM
I could see chores at your house, but they get him 6 days out if the month and they want him to clean....
He does seem old enough, but cleaning base boards and the stove, I feel they're to lazy to do it themselves so they are forcing him.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM

I dont think he's to young for those chores. I was doing stuff like that when I was a kid. 

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on May. 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Sounds more like they're too lazy to do anything during the week and look at him as low cost help and not a child visiting his parent.

SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:12 PM
in my opinion A kid who's there every other weekend should pick up after himself and maybe help with minor chores like wiping down the bathroom or something like that. They are there to spend time with their father not to clean house.
xoch86
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:12 PM

That's quite the list for such a small amount of time

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with that
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)