Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband Does Not Drive/Have A License

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM
  • 474 Replies
So, I'm being told that my husband is a man-child and not a real man because he doesn't have a license. He either bikes or walks everywhere. He knows how to drive, he just never got his license. Everything is close enough that biking/walking isn't excessive. He walks to work daily, 30 minutes there, 30 minutes back. That is a very generous time frame, some days it takes less. I just don't see what the problem is. Not everyone has a license. Not everyone drives. There is nothing preventing him from getting his license, just haven't done it. Never had a real need.

To answer all the questions that have repeatedly asked:
1) he has no medical condition preventing it
2) no license suspension
3) he LIKES walking
4) I like being the only one who drives
5) he can driver legly as long as I'm in the passenger seat. We live in a state where they DO NOT require a permit. He does not have a permit.
6) what car would he drive if he had a license? I need to have my car here with me incase of emergencies.
7) only 1 car per house allowed here, it is written right in my lease. They give you only 1 parking permit and only have enough spaces for one car per apartment.
8) he can't pick up kids at school, but neither can bio dad.
9) he can't bring kids to doctor, but neither can bio dad
10) This saves us a TON of money. I only fill my gas tank once a month with how little we drive. Only I'm insured. Only have registration/inspection costs for one car.
11) walking is good for him
12) walking is better for the environment that driving
by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM
I just cant inagine life without a drivers license and a car
ArwenEvenstar
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't care.. let the man walk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 17, 2015 at 4:41 PM
My husband lost his license
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 4:41 PM

do you live in a large city?

lilblu399
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM
My husband doesn't have one either. He doesn't need to be driving anyway. He drives a forklift at work and has bad "road rage" there. I don't drive either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallySkellingtn
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Small city. Lots of public transportation, he has a bike, 2 feet. I have a license and a car. He couldnt take the car even if he had a license. What if something happens while he's at work and I need the car?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

do you live in a large city?

Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:49 PM
4 moms liked this
So when you do a road trip you always have to drive? If he's alone with the kids and there's an emergency he has to ask a neighbor? If there's nothing preventing him medically he should really make a plan to get a license. .. Even if he only drives rarely. How old is he?
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Quoting Snakecharm: So when you do a road trip you always have to drive? If he's alone with the kids and there's an emergency he has to ask a neighbor? If there's nothing preventing him medically he should really make a plan to get a license. .. Even if he only drives rarely. How old is he?
SallySkellingtn
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM
Yes, I'm always the driver. I like it that way though. Hes step dad. He's actually never left home alone with the kids. Not for any reason other than my kids go everywhere with me all the time. He's 32.

Quoting Snakecharm: So when you do a road trip you always have to drive? If he's alone with the kids and there's an emergency he has to ask a neighbor? If there's nothing preventing him medically he should really make a plan to get a license. .. Even if he only drives rarely. How old is he?
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on May. 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I know quite a few men and women who don't have their license.....not a huge deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)