Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How hard is it...

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you arrive places on time, most of the time?

Options:

No, I admit I am usually running late.

Ehh. About 50/50. If I really care about something I am on time, some things I am late for.

I am on time to most things.

I am early for being early. If you are early, I got here first.

I was going somewhere, but then there was a butterfly.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

...to be on time!?

I work at a vacation rental company. I may hunt down and punch the next person who makes me wait on them. 

We are hiring housekeepers and maintenance staff. 90% of my applicants have been 5-45 minutes late for thier interviews. The other 5% have been great and are great employees. 

I gave one late girl chance anyway (normally that is deal breaker unless they have a great reason) because I liked her so much. Today was supposed to be her first day cleaning a cottage. We confirmed by phone yesterday that she would arrive at the office at 9:45am. The cottage had to be done for a check-in at 3pm. My current housekeepers all attend church on Sundays if they aren't scheduled to work and couldn't be reached by phone to fill in for her. When it was 10:30am and I was unable to reach her by phone and still hadn't seen her, I just went and cleaned the cottage myself. She either never came or was an hour (or more) late. After telling me yesterday that she was excited to start. 

A woman was supposed to check-in to said cottage at 3pm. I also confirmed with her by phone. Yesterday and today. Made sure she didn't need directions. Plus, she paid hundreds of dollars for this reservation and you would think she would be excited to start her vacation. My office was supposed to close at 5pm. But she still isn't here. Every time I call, she says she is "on her way" and tells me to wait longer. It is 6pm. This has happened 5-7 times in May alone. 

What is wrong with people!? 

I am always 15 minutes early for everything! I am the mother sitting in front of the school waiting for the doors to unlock because my kid can't be late for breakfast and AM walking club. I am the employee who is used to opening the building up every day because she arrives 30 minutes early or more to avoid the anxiety of being late if traffic hits. I am early to doctor's appointments. I am early to fitness classes. I can't stand tardiness or the stress of clock-watching. I care if I am late. Apparently, I am strange.

I would never be late to an interview. Or work. Sure as hell would never be late to check-in to start my vacation. I would be the lady browsing the winery and farmer's market brochures, planning my itinerary as I waited for my check-in time. I am early for being early...am I alone?

by on May. 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BookGirl.06
by on May. 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM
I'm always early.
Color.me.Pink
by on May. 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM

I'm always 30 minutes early. Now I take a car service provided by my employer nightly, and they've been getting me to work late. I've complained to my boss as he encouraged me to utilize it, and I swear I'm going to start taking the train into work. They've already gotten me late to work more than 3 times, 2 of those times more than 30 minutes. I'm over the free ride.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM
After a lifetime of being on a military schedule, early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable.
readyforhim
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM

you would hate me having me as a friend

Matka_Kinder
by Tina on May. 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM

i'm early for everything.

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:07 PM

If it is just me? I am always early. I have a family of eight....if all of us are going somewhere I do a happy dance if we are just on time. If we are early I pay the kids lol! If we are late, I blame my husband. He is has no sense of time. 

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on May. 17, 2015 at 6:07 PM
I'm almost always on time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM

I am always early, at least 15-20 minutes early.  Honestly, if someone showed up late for an interview with me, I wouldn't hire them.  If they were more than 15 minutes late, I wouldn't even bother with the interview.  But that's just me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM
I was always early and then I got married and had kids.
drowningmama
by on May. 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM
I am always 15 minutes early for work. 1 time I was 5 minutes late...I had to drive my dads car because my battery died.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)