Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast vs Formula In The Hospital

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
I work at a hospital that is not baby friendly but follows nearly all the baby friendly initiatives. It just takes a lot of time to get that title. Joint Commission is an organization that overseas facilities and sets standards you must pass if you want federal and state funds. Our newest joint commission goal is 100% breastfeeding compliance. My hospital currently has no fall outs on all other core measures for joint commission.

So basically, if a mother tells her obstetrician she will breastfeed in a prenatal appointment, we can not allow her to formula feed or we fall out and lose Medicare and Medicaid funds. If she chooses formula at the ob office, she can breast or bottle feed. But not if she chooses breast.

I do not support this. I do not think it is okay for us to take away their right to make choices for themselves. Knowing we will be punished if she changes her mind, that we have to call a pediatrician for an order, etc will greatly encourage nurses to refuse bottles to mothers. Mothers who ask for them. I do not support taking away parenting decisions. Our breast rate is 80% and it is because we are all trained, supportive, encouraging and understanding. The local baby friendly hospital is 45%. You can not force people to make choices you deem best.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I would have been very upset to be told I couldn't formula feed because I wanted to breastfeed, since DS was a preemie and had a lot of trouble.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:32 PM
Breast is best! Formula is poison!
karlie2
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:33 PM
What if people supply their own formula?
Tay06
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:34 PM
yeah that is wrong
CampClan
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:34 PM
If this were me I would be finding a new job. I can't work for a company who would refuse a baby food. What hapoens if for some reason the baby isn't latching on? Or mom isn't producing enough? Or in my case baby latched on but refused to suck?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM
Part of the protocol actually calls for us to give babies iv fluids instead of formula for glucose troubles as a first line treatment. And use bililights for longer periods instead of formula.

Both of those come with risks. Even if mom ASKS we are to discourage because using ivs gets us paid, using lights gets us paid, using formula we get no payment for any of baby's stay. Insanity.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I would have been very upset to be told I couldn't formula feed because I wanted to breastfeed, since DS was a preemie and had a lot of trouble.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM
I'm not understanding this. I very much wanted to breastfeed. Was all for it. Ds was so allergic to everything that 2 years later I'm still having to do allergy tests with him. You're telling me the hospital would have denied me formula even though his allergy was obvious from the very start?
Littlebunnyfufu
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM
I say find a way to warn pregnant paitent a of this. That way they can either bring their own in case or they can say formula even if they plan to do their best to breast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM
We still have to chart the feeding and we still don't get paid. We still give formula because we are not baby friendly. We do not give out samples to breast moms and haven't in years. We send formula moms home with cases of it since we have so much.

Quoting karlie2: What if people supply their own formula?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM
8 moms liked this
Closed minds are poison.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Breast is best! Formula is poison!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)