Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it normal for 5-6 year olds to fight with their friends?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Like yell that they arent friends anymore to them when they have a disagrent and name call after having disagreements?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on May. 17, 2015 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, this is where teaching conflict resolution skills cam come in handy
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM

100% normal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM
Yes. But tomorrow they will be best friends again.
Salut123
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Girls? Yes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM
OK. Well I'm not sure what to do, my daughter went a few houses down to play with the neighbor girl. My kid runs home crying saying that the girl told her she didn't want to play and my daughter pushed her apparently?
dizzy91
by Kelly on May. 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, man, yes. I can't court how many times my friends and I were like that.

I remember one time....I wanted my friend to be Sailor Venus, because she had long, straight, blonde hair. She wanted to be Sailor Moon, but I told her no, because she didn't have pigtails right then. She screamed that we weren't friends anymore, and I said she wasn't allowed to be a Sailor Scout anyway. 

texassahm
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I teach kindergarten.  Yes, it's totally normal.  I usually make a social lesson out of it.  We do a lot of social skills lessons in kindergarten.  I usually ask the one who said it "Is that what you really want?  To never talk to them or to never be their friend again?" and of course the answer is "no" - Then I ask "Did you really mean to say "I am mad at you right now, or I don't like what you're doing" - the answer is usually "yes."

As 5-6 yr olds we have to GIVE them the vocabulary to speak in a way that is constructive.  Humans aren't born knowing what words to use in uncomfortable situations, it's up to the experienced adults to give them the words and phrases to use and show them how and when to use them.

As a part of our social skills lessons we often play out scenarios that are common on the playground.  It builds confidence and helps kids maintain friendships.

What is your skincare type?  Here is a FREE APP to see what products you should be using to give yourself amazing skin. Questions? Contact me @ Rodan + Fields® 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:57 PM
I just wonder how long should we give the girls space before having them play together? Will this create conflict between the parents or not?
copasetic1
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM

That's pretty much every age for a long time.

2babymomma
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM
Yes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)