Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here's the only thing I don't get about transgendered people...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

They say things like " I have the soul of a woman" or " I have the soul of a man " . But does a soul feel a certain sex? I guess I never really thought about what sex my soul was, but I always kind of imagined it didn't have one.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the_dude
by abides on May. 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM

I've never heard any trans person say it's their soul, but rather their mind. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Quoting the_dude:

Bruce Jenner: I have the 'soul of a female' - CNN Video

www.cnn.com/.../orig-natpkg-abc-interview-bruce-jenner-transgend...
    CNN
    Apr 24, 2015 - Former Olympian Bruce Jenner tells Diane Sawyer in an ABC News exclusive that he is a woman.
    ashellbell
    by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM
    I've never heard it put that way. I'm assuming they mean their mind.
    Anonymous
    by Anonymous 2 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    I never heard that...
    the_dude
    by abides on May. 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM

ok? Bruce is one person. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting the_dude:

CNN
      Apr 24, 2015 - Former Olympian Bruce Jenner tells Diane Sawyer in an ABC News exclusive that he is a woman.

Anonymous
      by Anonymous 3 on May. 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM
      I think they are all just mentally ill.
      Anonymous
      by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM

It's something they say.

In the study of transsexuality, the essentialist idea of a feminine essence refers to the proposal that male-to-female transsexuals are females trapped in male bodies. This idea has been interpreted in many senses, as a female mind, spirit, soul, personality, etc., as well as in more literal senses such as having a female brain structure; it is also a psychological narrative, that is, a self-description of how some transsexuals see themselves

Quoting the_dude:

ok? Bruce is one person. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting the_dude:

CNN

JoanahLee
        by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM
        1 mom liked this

Because your not trans. 

A soul is only one way to describe the feelings that trans people go through. The medical description is Gender Dysphoria, which is a strong disconnect between their understanding of their own gender and the body they have. Not everyone experiences this or describes it in terms of a "soul". 

Kind of like how you can trot up a step to walk into a building without even thinking about the fact that you have done it, but someone in a wheelchair does not have the option to not think about where every step is and if there is another way into the building and if there are steps on the inside too or if there is someone around that will help if this is the only options.  Its similar for a lot of people about gender. If you are cis gender (meaning that you are not trans) then you just trot around the world without having to give a single thought to your own personal understanding of your own gender.  For trans people its like a flight of stairs to the front door for a person in a wheelchair...its everywhere, all the time and if you ARE trans you will think about it all the time no matter what. 

constantg
        by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM

I don't believe in gendered souls, but it's just a figure of speech. 

Bohemian_Pirate
        by A Landscapers Love on May. 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM
        How about...

We are not trans, gay, lesbian, bi, pan, ace, gender fluid, exta. So we can never truly understand understand how they feel.
        Add your quick reply below:
        You must be a member to reply to this post.
        Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
        Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)